Violin audition for the White House Marine Orchestra

December 23, 2006 at 05:33 AM · Dear friends and colleagues,

On January 8, 2007 "The President's Own" United States Marine Band will hold auditions for the position of VIOLINIST with the unit's Chamber Orchestra, the official ensemble of the White House. The organization's primary mission is to provide music for the President of the United States and has done so since 1801 for John Adams. It is the oldest musical organization in the United States and is an equal opportunity employer.

Successful candidates are NOT required to attend Marine recruit training but instead report directly for duty with the Marine Band in Washington, DC. Auditions are held at the John Philip Sousa Band Hall in DC and are open to anyone between the ages of 18 and 35. Potential candidates must meet height/weight standards set by the Marine Corps.

Those interested in auditioning should immediately contact the Marine Band (202) 433-5714 to receive a list of audition excerpts and other audition information. Candidates are required to play a solo of their choosing and selected excerpts. "Walk-ins" will be allowed to audition if they arrive before noon.

If any of you have questions regarding this audition, please do not hesitate to contact me through this discussion forum or via email.

All the best,

Peter Wilson

Violinist, White House Marine Orchestra

"The President's Own" U.S. Marine Band

Replies (6)

December 23, 2006 at 06:02 AM · Dad was a Marine but all he played was a 1903 Springfield. Snazziest uniforms in the whole business.

December 24, 2006 at 01:57 AM · Well golly gee.... guess I'm a BIT too old! :)

Sounds like an exciting adventure for a young violinist!

K.

December 24, 2006 at 01:00 PM · I wouldn't mind going for it, except for the fact that I'm in Australia, with little hope of getting to america for the audition dates, and also for the fact that I'd need to lose a fair bit of weight before I'm meeting the weight requirements...

January 2, 2007 at 05:38 PM · This orchestra did such a beautiful job at President Ford's funeral! They are an excellent group! I was so pleased to hear the quality the orchestra added to the whole ceremony. Peter, I recognized you in several close-up shots on the TV coverage!

Well done! An excellent group of musicians.

January 2, 2007 at 10:52 PM · I was impressed with what I heard today at the funeral also. What a wonderful opportunity for someone.

January 4, 2007 at 04:28 AM · David,

Thanks for your kind words and Happy New Year!

The funeral service for President Ford made for a very long day (up at 3 am!) but the honor of providing music for such an event gave us all a second wind. Both the Ford and Reagan memorial services were quite moving to be a part of. Did you see Regino? (I'm assuming you knew him since he attended CIM.)

We are getting all geared up to host our violin audition on Monday. It's not too late to audition! We accept walk-ins as potential candidates, no prior tape submission necessary.

For anyone interested, please contact our Marine Band Operations office (202) 433-5714 to receive our excerpt list via email (pdf files). The audition begins at 9:00 am on Monday and we will hear anyone who arrives by noon.

I'm happy to answer any questions regarding the job or the audition.

All the best,

Peter

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe