Ossy Renardy Redux

December 21, 2006 at 09:05 PM · I suppose this should be called Ossy renardy redux. Im do remember one of our members calling him a flash in the pan or some sort of romantic icon because of his young death. I have to personally wonder if the person ever heard his recordings. To my way of listening this is a formidable fiddle talent--anyone who can play Ernst or Paganini that way and who was virtually self-taught needs to be paid attention. I might not want to hear his Beethoven--I don't know it--but I don't like Ricci's Beethoven and Renardy's playing is certainly less frenetic. Everyone has their own strong suits. Meanwhile I'm throwing this out for discussion--what contitutes a creditable violinist--chops or the snootiness factor?

Replies (12)

December 21, 2006 at 09:31 PM · From another thread regarding Renardy, I'd say we've got more vocal fans than the opposite.

I enjoy his recordings, and am in awe to know that he was a self-taught. Like Rabin, unfortunately, he died too young.

December 21, 2006 at 09:50 PM · What do you mean by the "snootiness factor"?

December 22, 2006 at 08:24 AM · The snootiness factor refers to considering only those who play the "great' literature as worthy of respect and that those who like Ricci played bravura literature are somehow less than those who play Beethoven or Bach and the like.

December 22, 2006 at 03:29 PM · Maybe some people just *prefer* Bach, Beethoven and Brahms to Wieniawski, Paganini and Hubay, no snootiness involved.

December 23, 2006 at 11:58 PM · This reminds me of something I read in cd notes written by Tully Potter for a compilation of early 20th C solo violin recordings -- that many famous players were unique because they had been mostly self-taught.

I don't know if chops or snootiness make it but I wonder if a self-taught Renardy would encounter problems in his climb to the top these days. Has institutionalism, officialdom and qualification triumphed over the concept of the artist? You don't go to art college to learn how to draw. You either can, or you cain't.

Just some thoughts. Please ignore me. I don't want to fight with anyone today.

Merry Christmas to all!

December 24, 2006 at 01:55 AM · I think that all the succesful musicians are "self-teaching types".

Lucia

December 24, 2006 at 12:15 PM · Greetings,

I think Tully Potters comment is misleading. With a very small number of exceptions all the rgeta player sof the 20c had ateacher. The variation may occur in the number of years spent and which particular time frame. Nor doe sit address the kind of teaching. Auers clas swa snotable for producing huge quantities of original artists. To what extent did he really teach? Was he just smart enough to let truly gifted studnets elarn off each other while he kept things on track?

Merry Christmas,

Buri

December 24, 2006 at 03:36 PM · Hi,

I think that Heifetz said that Auer had an assistant that worked on technical aspects with the students, while he solely concentrated on the musical parts. I believe Milstein also said something about Auer not necessarily being a great teacher, but being surrounded by so many talented musicians encouraged rapid growth. I could be mistaken about those quotes though.

December 24, 2006 at 08:58 PM · no you aren't.

December 25, 2006 at 02:11 AM · [quote]

I think that all the succesful musicians are "self-teaching types".

[/quote]

I think a successful ANYONE is necessarily to be a person of self-taught type. But the difference is whether one has an academic pedigree. That is, whether the "self-taught" nature of ones alone can sufficiently get someone up there.

December 24, 2006 at 11:44 PM · Greetings,

yes, this is what blurs the whole issue. A violin teacher starts somewhat a san imparter of new information, but if they truly understand teaching, very rapidly switch to a different modus operandi altogether. That is, their function becomes one of `teaching the student to teach themselves.` Without this as an over riding priority as soon as possible the student will never achieve independence and fully develop their potential to whatever level of artistry it may or may not take them.

So we never really know precisely who is the teacher, who is being taught or what is actually happening.

Gotta get some prunes,

Happy Christmas,

Buri

December 25, 2006 at 02:16 AM · Yes exactly, Sir! Err, I meant m'am.

How do you spell "m'am"? Buri is my teacher, and a good teacher. But I am not gifted enough to learn off other good spelling-bees... :-) :-) :-)

(How come we cannot have smiley face here?)

Happy Holidays, Buri and the violinist.com bunch!

Season's Greetings with love from Chicago!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe