Then and Now

December 16, 2006 at 06:18 AM · I just read an interesting article written in 1919 by Frederick H. Martins who interviewed some of the leading violinists of the day (Heifetz included)and am wondering if anyone else has read this and their thoughts on how different (or not) the interviews would be if the same questions were asked of todays top violinists.

Replies (4)

December 16, 2006 at 06:42 AM · This might be what you're talking about, or something excerped from it. It looks good, at least if you want to sound like 1919.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/15535/15535-h/15535-h.htm

December 16, 2006 at 06:47 AM · Thanks for the link!... Gonna have to get a screen reader for this...

Basically, I think, there is a balance between long term goals, ability, and the technical acuity that puts one there. The question is, do we really know the recipe that creates this balance?

My experience has been that exercise is good. It allowed me to be a competent generalist on other instruments. But I still don't know how much of a good thing is enough.

The other side of the coin is another part of being a generalist. Watching how others execute a passage or stroke is as old as music, and gets one there also I think.

So, it's probably finding that balance that gets one where they want to be in terms of their long-term goals most efficently. That is probably what makes the difference between a good and a great teacher.

December 16, 2006 at 07:03 AM · Greetings,

actually such a comparison is possible. Read `The way they Play` series from end to end everyday for a couple of years.

What is interestign is that the interview with Heifetz in volume one is a more of less verbatim interview of the Martin. Soemones been a little naughty perhaps?

Cheers,

buri

December 16, 2006 at 10:06 AM · Eh...lessee...Maude Powell didn't use a chin rest. That should get things started. She says it's because she can't get one that fits her chin. She's lying. It's the special archetypal hot violin chick chin of hers no chin rest is worthy of or something. Every violin maker in Chicago would have custom made one to her exact specifications. Every carpenter too. They'd have carved it out with their tongues if she'd said to.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe