Squeaking E String

December 13, 2006 at 12:11 AM · My E string won't stop squeaking and it's driving my insane!! I use Infeld Red E and I heard they tend to squeak...

But maybe it also has to do with the instrument? Also, do they squeak more if they're false? (I've noticed that my E strings squeak right out of the envelope)

So the main question is what to do to stop it? And which strings don't squeak (preferably darker sounding).

Replies (24)

December 13, 2006 at 12:17 AM · I've been using a dominant E and it does the same thing. When I used pirastros it didn't squeak so it must be the strings.

December 13, 2006 at 12:40 AM · The infamous E string squeak is due to a torsional (twisting) mode of the string. I don't think it should be affected by falseness. It might be possible to change your setup to minimize it. Using more bow pressure also reduces the whistling.

Wound E strings are usually torsionally stiffer than unwound strings and won't squeak as much (Pirastro No 1, wound Eudoxa, wound Dominant, a few others.) I use a heavy gauge Wondertone Solo (not wound) which does whistle (not too badly) but is much more responsive than the wound E strings I have tried.

December 13, 2006 at 01:00 AM · Kaplan has a special E string to address this problem.

It's called the "Kaplan Solutions Non-Whistling E, number KS311W", specifically designed to solve the open E-string whistling.

http://www.burgessviolins.com

December 13, 2006 at 01:17 AM · Greetings,

sometimes a slight techncial glitch slips into ones playing that causes this. It is possible that the base of your index finger is soemtimes making the smallest contact with the string. Probably not but it is worth checking.

Now what can we do about people who whistle?

Cheer,s

buri

December 13, 2006 at 01:50 AM · about that kaplan E...how many of you have used that, and does it actually do what they say it does?

December 13, 2006 at 01:51 AM · You mean the left index finger, right? I noticed that happening before but it usually squeaks without me touching it.

December 13, 2006 at 02:35 AM · Greetings,

yes.

(sound slike my girlfriend...)

Cheers,

Buri

December 13, 2006 at 03:16 AM · My friends and I used to have contests to see who could make it whistle the most times in a row... you can practice that if you want, and it may help you never to do it again!

The only string I can't make squeak so far is a plain Dominant E.

December 13, 2006 at 03:57 AM · Greetings,

I think it was Ted who told that great story of how Oistrakhs e string whistled 17 times during a perfomrnace of the Chaccone. He was so enragedby the end after playing the last note immediatley bashed out open ees in front of the audience,

Cheers,

Buri

December 13, 2006 at 04:19 AM · 17 good ones after. Just re-arrange it in your mind. That would impress me more than playing it better if his count was right.

December 13, 2006 at 04:27 AM · I usually only have problems with gold-plated e-strings. Has anybody noticed that they squeak more?

December 13, 2006 at 04:37 AM · The way to get rid of the E string squeak is to angle your bow "in" (frog closer to right arm, tip closer scroll) when crossing from A to E string. Exaggerate it a little bit.

It really does work. Also applying slightly more pressure will help...but the angle is the number one thing.

Hill E's work quite well from my experience....thick gauge

December 13, 2006 at 04:43 AM · Gold Es whistle on my violin, so I stick with Pirastro Wondertone Gold Label E.

December 13, 2006 at 04:51 AM · Pirastro's Oliv gold e also whistled for me. It's one thing that led me to switch to gut strings, probably not an option for you. Gut e's may only last a couple of months, but by golly, they don't whistle! :)

December 13, 2006 at 05:51 AM · Eva Pirazzi also is high-strung--I just changed my sounding point for E notes until it finally wore out.

December 13, 2006 at 06:02 AM · A few people have mentioned that applying more pressure can help and while it sometimes does, I really don't want to do that because it produces a sort of attack I don't want, especially if I'm trying to play softly.

December 13, 2006 at 06:29 AM · Enosh, try scooting just a little towards the bridge a couple times, with the elbow just a micro-little further back.. I'm still too green to play almost anything with force or pressure, so the playing softly thing really hit home. Anyway, that's how I started learning about the SP-regions... al

December 13, 2006 at 07:46 AM · To play softly without squeaking, you can lower the bow speed while maintaining pressure. On the other hand, if you want to win a whistling E string contest, start with the bow off the string and then bring it down on the string with as much speed and as light a touch as you can produce.

The one E string I've tried that I could never make whistle was the Pirastro No 1, but that was the only good thing about it (on my violin.)

December 13, 2006 at 02:05 PM · I'm glad that I'm not the only one who experiences this sometimes. I usually get rid of it by changing bow direction or the contact point. Sometimes using more pressure works but I agree with you Enosh, it's not always the sound I want either!

Daniel

December 13, 2006 at 11:21 PM · Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I've been experimenting, and what Albert said seems to work very well. I think the main thing is being closer to the bridge. I so far haven't had a whistle if I play close to the bridge. =)

December 14, 2006 at 01:21 AM · cool--it worked with Eva.

December 14, 2006 at 03:58 AM · Well actually now I've gotten a few squeaks even closer to the bridge but it's definitely much better.

December 14, 2006 at 04:10 AM · check the elbow.

December 14, 2006 at 01:31 PM · BOW ANGLE IN WHEN CROSSING

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe