Fixing rosin cake

December 8, 2006 at 07:48 PM · I have a fairly new cake of Tartini Green rosin I like very much. The cake comes attached to the base of its "hatbox" container, but has come loose. It rattles around now, and may get chipped. Is there any way to reattach it? Glue, remelting etc?

Replies (19)

December 8, 2006 at 08:20 PM · I hope you get some good answers. My daughter's cracked right down the middle

December 8, 2006 at 08:25 PM · Put it in a little box, with some cotton or batting or little foam etc.

Rosin is cheap. Who cares?

And violin strings cost more than guitar strings. You just have to suck it up.

Or you could try to glue it. But why not just pad it?

And I heard Tartini is back in production under a new name anyway.

And there are a lot of Rosins out there.

December 8, 2006 at 09:00 PM · Sorry abot the rosin but i just have to say Hi.

I'm a swedish finn, i saw that you are from norway. I also started playing the violin in september 2005 so we have some things in common.

I hope you and your violin are getting along, i guess it's been a remarkable year for you. A lot of hard work and a lot of rewards.. playing the violin.

Nåja, hejdå

December 10, 2006 at 05:08 AM · Christian,

I would take a butter knife (cheap one, possibly from the dollar store or an old one you can part with.) and Put it over a your stove's flame for about 10 seconds (wear oven mits). and then apply the hot knife to the bottom of the rosin really quick and quickly attatch it to the base. In a few seconds it should be solidified.

Hope that helps!

-Richard.

December 10, 2006 at 06:34 AM · Mine's not only cracked but broken--has been for going on a year--just wing it, and open it carefully. You might put a little piece of cloth that can be folded to handle it in the case, but I don't even do that ?...

December 10, 2006 at 06:50 AM · Weld that sucker with a butane lighter. Don't forget your eye protection.

December 12, 2006 at 03:11 AM · If you are willing to reshape it yourself I'd suggest double-boiling it.

December 12, 2006 at 04:29 AM · Whatever you do, don't use glue! It will eventually get on your bow =)

Daniel

December 12, 2006 at 05:34 PM · lol...saw the title, Fixing Rosin Cake...sounded like a recipe for an orderve! Yuck!

December 12, 2006 at 11:31 PM · Ok I had a similar problem. My tartini was broken into sub atomic particles in a suitcase on a plane. The tartini plastic base has a little ridge on it. Take some alufoil and make a 15 cm by 3 cm strip by folding it up. Curve it into a circle that fits inside the ridge of the base and tape it together.

You now put the broken rosin into a metal container of some kind and you quickly melt it on the stove and pour it into the home made mold. You now have a good as new rosin. Be careful not to burn yourself as it get quite hot.

December 13, 2006 at 03:32 PM · so you can melt Rosin?

December 14, 2006 at 03:10 AM · Yes Terri, You can melt rosin. I do it to my rosin all the time. I wouldn't suggest putting a really expensive one in the microwave until you get used to doing it, it can burn very easily. But a toster oven (at a low setting!) and watched carefully works well too.

April 14, 2014 at 10:23 PM · I always used a lighter if the pieces were bigger. It cools back down quickly so you have to act fast. But the microwave works best.

April 14, 2014 at 11:53 PM · Rub a little alcohol on the bottom, which will dissolve and make the surface tacky, and affix it to the container.

April 15, 2014 at 12:23 AM · I just hot glue gunned a rosin cake back down for my daughter. Worked like a charm.

April 15, 2014 at 12:23 AM · I just hot glue gunned a rosin cake back down for my daughter. Worked like a charm.

April 15, 2014 at 01:57 AM · There are 2 ways that you can fix your rosin. You can wipe some rubbing alcohol on the cake. This will dissolve a bit of the rosin and make it tacky, since rosin works as a solvent. You can then stick it back on. The rosin will dissolve and it will become hard again. Also, you can soften it with a hair dryer and do the same thing

April 17, 2014 at 02:56 AM · Hi, just use the alcohol technique. It's much easier than using heat and works like a champ.

My rosin got knocked onto a hardwood floor and about one-third of it cracked off. A few swipes with an alcohol soaked swab and it becomes its own glue. It's as good as new!

April 18, 2014 at 01:46 AM · I had the same experience two days ago - my rosin cake got knocked onto the floor during a rehearsal, breaking cleanly into two almost equal pieces. To repair it, instead of liquid alcohol I used antibacterial hand gel which contains 62% ethanol and works the same way. Repair good as new. Alcohol-based gel possibly more convenient than liquid?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe