How many of you play both the violin and cello?

December 8, 2006 at 06:11 AM · My cello teacher commented that not many people play both the violin and cello, and it's a "rare" combination. I thought differently.

Anyone here play both the violin and cello please say "yes", just to make a point to my teacher.

Replies (37)

December 8, 2006 at 06:13 AM · Greetings,

Milstein, Perlman...

Cheers,

Buripovitch

December 8, 2006 at 06:19 AM · Viola and cello here. Is that rarer?

December 8, 2006 at 06:22 AM · I doubt it, I think viola and cello are much easier to switch between.

December 8, 2006 at 06:42 AM · Violin and cello here.

December 8, 2006 at 06:56 AM · Both violin and cello.

December 8, 2006 at 07:00 AM · I wish--.

December 8, 2006 at 08:12 AM · i play violin and viola. thinking about trying the cello out. should i just go with the traditional cello or try something like the carbon fiber cello or the slimmed down electric cello?

December 8, 2006 at 02:02 PM · I do both because I'm an orchestra teacher. I'm about as good as a slightly above-average high school cellist (which isn't saying much).

December 8, 2006 at 05:06 PM · Violin and cello here.

Though not too good at either...

December 8, 2006 at 05:08 PM · One of my piano students plays bass, cello and violin.

December 8, 2006 at 09:22 PM · I don't play the violin and the cello, but I do think that is interesting because the cello and violin have different clefs.

December 8, 2006 at 11:21 PM · I play violin, viola, and cello.

December 8, 2006 at 11:35 PM · I play both, but I don't get around to practising cello very often. The good thing about playing cello for a violinist is that it puts you in the position of being very nearly able to play to a basic level all of the string instruments. Viola is played 'at the shoulder' too, so you have that one basically covered. And bass technique is somewhat similar to cello technique. All you then have to do is learn viola clef, which is easy. I relate it to bass clef.

I must say I am very fond of the double bass. I used to play it and I miss it. Its actually a lot of fun to play.

But violin is definitely my favorite!

December 9, 2006 at 08:47 AM · I learned cello for about half a year a couple of years ago. Loved it, and progressed quite well at first, but finally found I didn't have the time and energy for both and had to make a choice. I stuck with violin for various reasons, but still love the sound of the cello best.

December 9, 2006 at 12:38 PM · Both violin and cello here and loving it!

December 9, 2006 at 05:07 PM · I play violin, viola, and cello. I've played the violin for many years and have found that playing the other instruments really enhances your expressive and technical insights into the other instruments, to the benefit of all.

It'd be intriguing to hear whether you folks think that it's easier to move from violin to cello or the other way around. My guess is that the cello is easier to learn for violinists (and violists), because of the cello's more "natural" position.

JOHN

December 9, 2006 at 08:37 PM · I play both. Even though I don't play professionally, I knhow of many who play both. I think they go hand in hand, almost.

December 9, 2006 at 08:53 PM · Any place to hear Milstein and Perlman on cello?

December 10, 2006 at 01:34 AM · I think I have one of the Rarer combinations :).

Violin and Tuba.

December 10, 2006 at 03:54 AM · I play the tuba, too!

December 10, 2006 at 04:45 AM ·

December 10, 2006 at 04:40 AM · Marty,

You play Tuba too? Awesome, You are the 2nd tuba-violinist I have ever met, other than myself! I guess we aren't as rare a breed as I first assumed!

-Richard :).

December 10, 2006 at 06:00 AM · yeah, I played tuba in for 8 years through middle school and high school. I was pretty good, too, but I'm a much better violinist.

December 11, 2006 at 02:19 AM · If my count is correct, there are 14 (including Milstein, Perlman, "Buripovich" and myself). I need more to be convincing!

Didn't know Perlman plays the cello too. Wonder how the great violinists would sound like on a cello.

December 11, 2006 at 02:55 AM · I used to play cello, and sometimes play the violin with it held between my legs, LIKE a cello (for really difficult parts where my violin technique is still lacking.)

Does that count?

December 11, 2006 at 04:33 AM · I'll count that as half.

December 11, 2006 at 05:41 AM · If you ever heard me play, you'd count that as 1/4. (g)

December 11, 2006 at 05:54 AM · oh yeah--one of my coaches I think does--and I heard she's pretty good at it.

December 11, 2006 at 06:01 AM · Ok, so far I have 15 and a half. Anymore? I was expecting something like 30 at least. Don't be shy.

December 11, 2006 at 06:05 AM · I played double bass in the school junior orchestra at 16 and now the violin at 56. Maybe a tenth?

December 12, 2006 at 04:28 AM · i play the violin and double bass. its so screwy with my schedule and then deciding what orchestra i should audition for on which instrument. people say i play both really well, but im convinced i suck/can always improve.

December 12, 2006 at 05:35 PM · Some day I wish to learn cello...my favorite instrument. But I didn't have much luck with the trombone...never caught onto the bass clef.

December 13, 2006 at 01:38 AM · String teacher for 36 years (so far), so my chops are pretty good on all of 'em. Except maybe bass. Above-average high schoolish? Also solid piano, sing well and have done so in an almost-professional madrigal group. Nobody pays madrigal groups enough for them to be professional, I guess. Then there's fiddling. Also guitar (folk and modest classical), a little mandolin, a little less bassoon... Tried the bagpipe chanter, but didn't get it. Sue

December 13, 2006 at 02:51 AM · Ok Sue, I'll count you in. You can stop showing off now! LOL!

December 13, 2006 at 08:45 AM · Here's a clip of du Pre and Perlman swapping strads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oIVfdsayy0

December 13, 2006 at 09:38 PM · Okay--I play both violin and cello--though I'm not very good on either one (does that still count?). I also play piano and guitar (but also not very well).

December 14, 2006 at 03:53 AM · We have a young prodigy who has soloed with us on both cello and violin. Very well, too. Not a slouch by any means. She did the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto last month. Oh yes, last year she soloed with us on harp. Also very well.

Oh, yes, again, her younger sister is doing the same thing, but not quite at that level yet.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe