Musafia humidifier tube

December 5, 2006 at 10:23 PM · I just bought my wife a Musafia case, and it comes with one of their in-case humidifiers. It is a plastic tube (like a string tube, but shorter) with holes in it and some kind of filament inside. How do I get that thing to hold water? It's too long to submerge in my sink, and running water over it doesn't seem to get it very wet. Interesting material! Does anyone use this?

Replies (13)

December 5, 2006 at 10:36 PM · Greetings,

that`s interesting. I thought it was a -de-humidifier- so one just leaves it. I guess even cases need instructions these days for the humidity challenged,

Cheers,

Buri

December 5, 2006 at 10:39 PM · Bathtub?:)) I wish I had a wife. I'd buy her better stuff than I have too.

December 5, 2006 at 10:42 PM · Buri, I guess it's a de-humidifier if you live in humid Japan. :)

I have a Musafia case with the same system, it fits in my sink just fine. In your case I would indeed suggest the bathtub. :) It usually takes five minutes or so to get fully saturated.

December 5, 2006 at 11:30 PM · Greetings,

>It usually takes five minutes or so to get fully saturated.

yes, but I wa sslower in my student days,

Cheers,

Buri

December 6, 2006 at 02:07 AM · Hi Nate,

I just put mine in the kitchen sink and let it sit for about 3-4 minutes, then wipe it off.

December 6, 2006 at 03:58 AM · Greetings,

Pieter, we don`t wish to know your personal hygene routines.

Cheers,]

Buri

December 6, 2006 at 04:47 AM · You guys are the best, what can I say? I'm not surprised to hear it takes a while to get that thing soaked. Here at home I can use the kitchen sink; I guess I was wondering what I would do while traveling, hotels, halls, etc. But it probably doesn't need to be refilled nearly as often as a Dampit then. Am I right?

December 6, 2006 at 07:54 AM · If it's anything like a humidifyer for a cigar humidor, it may already contain a stabilizing substance like propolyene glycol. When slighty moistened with distilled water and placed in a closed system, the device will maintain a constant humidity, absorbing or realeasing moisture as needed. In that case, you shouldn't saturate it, so that there remains some absorbing capacity. I would send them an e-mail to be sure. (I'd like to know what they say. I have one but never used it since its so wet and rainy where I live that I need to put little packs of silica in the case to dehumidify, but would be nice to know anyway)

December 6, 2006 at 08:22 AM · It almost seems like a shame to use regular water on this wondrous thing.

December 6, 2006 at 06:15 PM · that's why I use vitamin water, Jim.

January 6, 2012 at 11:36 PM · When travelling, you can use an empty wine bottle (or beer bottle, in a pinch).

You might have to turn it halfway through to wet the other end, but there's no need to go through the trouble of finding a large enough sink.

January 7, 2012 at 12:40 AM · That's what I do (the bottle thing). I just use the same water each time and pour a little more in whenever it starts to visibly get lower. No need to fill a sink with water and then waste all the excess...

January 7, 2012 at 03:12 AM · A medical syringe works, just inject the water in.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe