Renardy - forgotten in our time

November 30, 2006 at 02:34 AM · Ossy Renardy - an unknown and forgotten violinist

Replies (10)

November 30, 2006 at 02:42 AM · I have Renardy's(ne Oskar Reiss)LP of the first 12 Paganini caprices with the David(I think)piano accompaniments. He plays on the Canon Joseph or else on the Vuillaume copy. Juicy sound, very musical I'd gladly listen to anything he did.

November 30, 2006 at 06:50 PM · I also have the Rabin/Renardy CD, titled "Michael Rabin: The Early Years". I found this in the New York Times archives, from 5/13/53, by Ross Rarmenter:

"Perhaps the saddest happening in the musical world during the local news stoppage was the death of Ossy Renardy, 33-year-old violinist, who was killed in an automobile accident the afternoon of Dec. 3. The accident occurred in northern New Mexico while George Robert, the violinist's accompianist, was driving him to a concert that night in Monte Vista, Colo. Their car skidded on an ice slick and, while out of control, was hit by another car coming in the opposite direction. The other motorists were not seriously injured, and the violinist's Guarnerius was not damaged. But many, knowing how fine an artist the young Viennese-born musician was, must feel so great a talent could be less well spared than even so precious an instrument."

November 30, 2006 at 11:49 PM · Overrated. The romantic appeal of an early death goes a long way in many circles, but there are many contemporary violinists who outshine him, not to mention the greats from the past.

December 1, 2006 at 05:52 AM · I also have the "Rabin's Early Years" CD. I think he was super excellent for a self-taught violinist although he received some lessons in his childhood.

Juicy sound to describe his playing is just about right. Very pleasant to listen to. :-)

December 1, 2006 at 04:03 AM · Greetings,

that about sums it up. I have his Brahms. It is pleasnat to listen to. Good sound, good musician,

Cheers,

buri

December 1, 2006 at 10:30 AM · Hi Buri, "Good & pleasant" does not sound that encoraging to me. There is a great deal for this Dutton CD at GBP2.99. Wonder whether I should take the plunge or not? Care to elaborate on his Brhams VC please?

December 1, 2006 at 06:50 PM · Renardy was an outstanding prodigy and his first recording of the Paganini Caprices (he did another recording of the complete caprices in the 50s for Remington)recorded when aged 17 are among the best...he also performed all of them in Carnegie Hall at the same age with the Lalo Symphonie Espagnole...later, in his 30s, his paying was not as good (but still at a high level), probably because he had to serve in the army during the war...he had no tuition after 13 years of age...his recording of the Bach solo sonatas are not showing the violinist at his best...Nobody sounds today like the young Renardy and he was certainly among the greatest talents ever...as a violinist...being a great musician is another matter and is not the object of the discussion here...

Marc

December 2, 2006 at 12:34 AM · Regardless what people say, let's just think about one point:

How many pedigreed violinists can make it a top soloist let alone a self-taught?

So, can over-rated explain it all?

I bought this CD in Germany for 30 DM. So it should only cost about $15. For that price you got Rabin as well. I certainly would not hesitate to get it. If you like his playing, you can then safely expand your collection.

August 17, 2010 at 05:00 PM ·

Well I think the JS Bach Gminor solo sonata sounds wonderful.

It's on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiCSf3SMwK4&playnext=1&videos=krl7WTVKnJ0

The Paganini 17th Caprice is sensational - definitely the Vuillaume copy of  DG Cannone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy4-HeM3E-Y

It is both ridiculous and pointless to compare yesteryear players with today's players unless you are old enough to have heard them both live, not on recordings.

For one thing they didn't have the facility to edit every note and with the latest version of Melodyne you can now tune chords to your liking. The vintage players often had to make do with one take, not thousands. The editor of Perlman's Bach Partitas told me there were 5000 edits! So never ever believe a recording again.

Schlomo Mintz is obviously miming to a pre recorded edited version of his caprices and Markov's isn't strictly live either. It took 2 days to make that video, I hear.

This makes Renardy even greater in my opinion.

August 17, 2010 at 09:12 PM ·

Thanks John...For a long period of time,Renardy's 24 Caprices recording were among the finest.. And I refer to the 1939 session with piano accompaniment. Renardy was only 17 at the time. A very comparable recording made by  David Garrett is also available on DG. Garrett was aged 17 also and the recording is with piano accompaniment ( Shumann version).

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings