Give Thanks!

November 23, 2006 at 05:26 PM · It's Thanksgiving in the United States, but the sentiment is a universal one. What are you thankful for?

I'll start: I'm thankful for my family: for the best husband ever (who custom makes all the computer coding for this site, by the way!), my cute and very rambunctious kids and all my far-flung relatives.

I'm thankful for my violin, hard-won as everything about it has been, for my teachers and mentors, for my students and their parents, for all those who go to concerts and love music.

I'm thankful for my community, for my church, and for the possibility of better leadership in my country.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Replies (19)

November 23, 2006 at 06:48 PM · I am thankful for everything I have been given: The ability to see things with a fair mind, and the ability to assist others when situation calls for.

Furthermore, after seeing a great deal of the "dark" side in life, I am thankful that I can still afford to stay firm with my value system instilled in me by my family.

Most of all, I thank my parents and god (in any form) that I am healthy with all faculties required to learn to enjoy and play music, especially at an older age.

I am blessed and I hope others can be so lucky as well.

November 23, 2006 at 07:07 PM · I am thankful for this great website and the community it has drawn!

November 23, 2006 at 07:07 PM · >...and for the possibility of better leadership in my country.

Oh my, oh my - how could I forget this biggie?

November 23, 2006 at 07:49 PM · I'm thankful that my divorce is almost finalized!

November 23, 2006 at 07:53 PM · Besides the obvious being thankful for my family, my friends, my wonderful violin teacher, and my violin and bow themselves:

I'm thankful that in a few short months, my conservatory auditions will be over!!

I'm thankful that the political situation in the USA has changed a bit.

I'm thankful that the political situation in Hungary is, at least, not getting excessively worse anymore--also that the people are still making it very clear they do not want to be led by a prime minister who is a cynical, bald-faced liar. :)

I'm thankful that the Takacs Quartet just recorded Death and the Maiden and Rosamunde (now if I could only get my hands on a copy...)

I'm thankful that the weather here is really nice today.

I'm thankful for the "5 B's": Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Bartok and the Beatles.

I'm thankful that I finally got a set of Oliv strings.

Cheers and happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

MG

November 23, 2006 at 08:26 PM · >I'm thankful that my divorce is almost finalized!

Marty, Marty, just read your blog. Don't know whether to offer my congratulations or my condolences. Keep the faith - there ARE wonderful people out there who make the perfect lifetime partners. It's just a tricky process in finding them, and most of us stumble along the way. Hang in there, and have a good (maybe a little strange?) Thanksgiving.

November 23, 2006 at 08:14 PM · I love the way you guys are so optimistic about the future and "the possibility of better leadership" :-)

They don't really do thanksgiving over here in Europe, which is a shame. Maybe I should try and set a trend......

Anyway, I'm thankful for the opportunity to lead such a privileged life. To have a roof over my head, to have enough to eat. To have friends, a caring family, a good education.

It's crazy, but I'm thankful for the internet. How else would you have access to a world of information, a world of people and a world of music from your desk?

I'm thankful for beauty. The beauty of nature, art, literature, architecture and of course, music.

I give thanks for the geniuses that were Bach, Vivaldi, Mozart, Beethoven, Debussy, Rachmaninov, Tchaikovsky... the list is endless. Where would we be without music?

November 24, 2006 at 12:22 AM · [quote]

I'm thankful for my community, for my church, and for the possibility of better leadership in my country.

[/quote]

I don't think we can get any better president in providing good laughs than the current one, albeit sad:

http://english.pravda.ru/opinion/columnists/85564-0/

Alas!

I also thank Laurie for the wonderful site, where so many professionals and alike are so generous with helping others to learn to appreciate or to play music. I am very grateful for all the contributors' generosity, especially the regulars.

Thank you!

November 23, 2006 at 08:31 PM · I have much to be thankful for:

My family: I have the greatest Mom and Dad in the world.

My health: Also, that Dad got back from Hawaii in one piece (long story).

My violin: Long Live Guido.

My cats: Yes, my cats.

My students: They better not slack off too much this week. Actually, working with young people gives me great hope for the future.

My gigs: I played Beethoven 5 Monday, and it is still fun.

My friends: They put up with me.

My teachers: Thank you very much!

Dinner: I have lamb cooking, with enough garlic to satisfy the entire Hungarian Army! (Maura, you are welcome to join us. Dinner at 6:00).

Thanks too, to Laurie for doing such a great job with this marvelous resource.

Happy Thanksgiving!

November 23, 2006 at 08:52 PM · I am thankful for all the blessings that I have received from living in a land that was founded by the Pilgrims and based on the principles that everyone can worship God the way their conscience dictates. I am thankful for all the great men and women who have built our country and sacrificed themselves for freedom, liberty and justice for all.

I am thankful for my parents, my husband and my children. And that God put me in the place I'm at, with the family I have and the church I'm in. I'm also thankful that my 2nd grade teacher suggested me to take up the violin. I'm thankful for the all of the opportunities I have been given and the doors that have been open for me. I'm thankful for the community of violinists and violin makers who are sharing of their time and experiences to others who aspire to learn and play.

And most of all, I'm thankful for all the faithful witnesses, the Holy Bible preserved in the King James Version, and my Lord Jesus Christ for saving me and giving me a home in Heaven with Him eternally.

November 23, 2006 at 09:51 PM · John Pearse and Augustine Red guitar strings! Cans of Hormel chili and Miller High Life! I don't ask for much.

November 23, 2006 at 09:51 PM · Vivian, the Pravda article is great! :) I think a few of those first quotes were actually Dan Quayle-isms, though.

Anne--only if there's lots of paprika in there too...(btw, beszél magyarul? én kicsit beszélek...magyarul tanulok, de a nyelv nehéz!!!)

Oh yeah, and thanks to Laurie for running this great site!! :)

November 23, 2006 at 11:10 PM · Since America has given me so much since we came here when I was 10, I have made a tradition of giving (the day before thanksgiving) every year with my family.

Clothes, household goods, food to the needy to Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission.

November 24, 2006 at 02:03 AM · I am thankful because I live upon the oldest most beautiful and termperate mountains on earth. And that not only I, but tens of generations of my family have been molded and formed by these unforgiving ancient peaks.

I am thankful that upon similar mountains around the world the very notion of thankful was born. And that sung upon the wind from these peaks is the core of the human spirit, a quiet and subtle voice that instructs my plow, born also on a mountain.

I am thankful that those who came, went. And that the integrity in the meaning of Thomas Cole and Isaiah's still small voice may yet be heard among the mountains, persists in it's purest reflections.

I am thankful that somewhere in the world, another stands upon a ridge on a clear cold night, hearing and singing the celestial song that only can be understood by humanity's true heart. And that in the understated symbol called the mountain, effort's reward teases humanity to "fly higher Jonathan', as it did from the very beginning.

I am thankful that a child climbed all the way to the ridge today. And that another, fell and rolled nearly to the creek. And yet another discovered the Buck's rut and bear's wallow, all on the same day.

I am thankful that it is not the vista from the mountain towards the city that holds the most meaning, but the view of the mountain from the city. And that the ancient chthonic agricultural mystery of life remains the true footsteps of everyman's journey.

I am thankful that the wind rushing through the hollows is soprano, alto and bass. And that it resonates through and within the spruce eons of time before this fiddle in my hands. And that the song was sung long before the strings were strung.

Happy Thanksgiving.

al

November 24, 2006 at 02:51 AM · Thanks, Terez,

I had Thanksgiving alone this year (well, my mini schnauzer was with me so I wasn't entirely alone), but I guess it could be much worse. I'm thankful for my life and that I'm able to live it in peace. I only wish the rest of the world could.

November 24, 2006 at 05:33 AM · I am thankful for my violin, my dog, and this WONDERFUL chocolate chip cookie. Mmmmm....

November 24, 2006 at 06:49 AM · I've given it some thought...and I think I'm really thankful for everything, good and bad. I mean, there are some aspects that I'd love to improve about myself (like my horrible procrastination tendencies), but I'm still really thankful for it. Because I've learned lessons from it.

So, yes, I'm thankful for you. :)

November 25, 2006 at 05:31 AM · I'm thankful for a wonderful family (love you bro and sis, Mom and Dad!), the chance to have pursued a childhood dream and succeed at it and to now have new dreams to strive for, I'm thankful to have made it through school in one piece, to have had the opportunity to go to school, and I'm thankful for all the amazing opportunities and experiences I have been able to have when so many people are struggling on a day to day basis just to survive.

November 25, 2006 at 03:46 PM · I'm thankful for March 3rd. It's the day when my grad school auditons are over. I'm also thankful for the rather quickly coming December 3rd, which is the day after my recital.

I'm also thankful for my wonderful and extremely large family, my best friend, and Sallie Mae for loaning me the money to go to school and buy my violin!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe