Bach's Concerto in D Minor for Two Violins

November 23, 2006 at 03:02 AM · Which violin part is easier to play in: Bach's Concerto in D Minor for Two Violins?

Replies (12)

November 21, 2006 at 11:26 PM · I am as of right now practicing the first violin.

November 23, 2006 at 03:21 AM · Greetings,

neither but the second is more fun;)

Cheers,

Buri

November 23, 2006 at 03:32 AM · There is a subtle art to playing the second part to anything. Let the person playing first be the insensitive showoff.

--Lifelong 2nd Violinist, former tuba player

November 23, 2006 at 07:17 AM · They're equal, and equally important and interchange a lot. Suggestion: if you are practicing the first violin, also at least play through the second violin part, so you'll know what it's doing and therefore what you should do.

November 23, 2006 at 05:48 PM · Second violin is way better in this piece. I've never heard of any violinist liking the first violin part better than the second.

November 23, 2006 at 05:55 PM · Second violin is the most fun to play.

I learned the second violin part as a student.

Alas, when I teach this piece, I give the student the second violin to learn, and I am stuck with the first.

November 24, 2006 at 12:50 AM · Definitely the 1st violin part is easier

Have Fun!!

November 24, 2006 at 05:01 AM · I've always preferred the 1st violin part, for some odd reason. I think it's because the first time I learned the first movement, the 1st violin started after the 2nd, and I liked that...?

November 24, 2006 at 07:44 AM · As a Suzuki teacher who keeps both parts in my mind and fingers....

I can scarcely tell them apart! They weave in and out of each other so easily. I think what makes the piece fun is to have a partner who also is aware of where the parts call and answer each other, where they briefly unite, where both together should build or diminuendo. It's just an immensely fun piece, and I say that after I should well be awfully tired of it.

Here's an old blog about the Bach double. ;)

November 24, 2006 at 06:51 PM · i haven't heard the bach double in ages!

November 29, 2006 at 04:25 AM · I would say they're both pretty equal. It's a double concerto...and a lot of the parts are similar. Plus, although second violin does not have to always worry about playing so high that they can practically pick their nose (in orchestral, chamber, etc.) it's still a challenge with rhythms, harmony, and more subtle, less flashy techniques. Don't worry so much about what's harder/easier...just make music. Being "easy" doesn't always mean it's less of something.

December 1, 2006 at 07:55 AM · This is an interesting question because I just happen to have recorded each part (first movement) for two different students in the last two days. I like playing Violin II. Both parts are about equal in their difficulty. I think some students find Violin I a bit more difficult because of the second position spots in the first movement. But the second position can, and should, be used to advantage in spots in Violin II also.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe