Recording options.

November 19, 2006 at 08:09 PM · I have one main question. If I bought a microphone and plugged it into my computer could I record directly like that?

And also what are some cheap alternatives for outside the home (recorders)..

Thanks,

Richard

Replies (5)

November 19, 2006 at 08:29 PM · It depends. if it's a passive microphone(no batteries) the output might be really low, but your computers microphone insert should be able to pick it up anyway. It creates a lot of extra noise though. After experimenting with such a setup too long i bought a 100€ samson CU3 usb mic with a digital converter inbuilt and it works great. No hiss, no fuzz, just plug and play. And for the outside home things i have a portable computer with recording software. Tommi(sarahs husband)

November 20, 2006 at 09:12 PM · OK, now I am just trying to record me and my sister and stuff playing for cd's and posting on the internet. Would a cheap Walmart Computer Microphone work. I know it wouldn't be too high quality.

November 21, 2006 at 01:31 PM · You would get a sound, but probably wouldn't be happy with it. I don't know what you want to spend, but I seem to recall buying Shure mics for $50 or so at the local music store (pick one that sells P/A-type sound systems; i.e. has a sound equipment section.) That way at least you have a decent input. And you can use it with a recorder later.

November 22, 2006 at 01:55 PM · Ok, yah I want to be happy with the sounds, but not sure if I want to spend $50 on a mic, I have a mic, but it doesn't fit into the computer :(...

November 25, 2006 at 01:20 AM · I use a Radio Shack tie clip microphone (33-3026) for $11.99. It plugs into the mic input on my laptop and records without hiss or static. I use a freeware recording software (not Microsoft Sound Recorder) called FREE Hi-Q Recorder. You can download it at http://www.download.com/Free-Hi-Q-Recorder/3000-2168_4-10411568.html

It may depend on how new your computer is, but most recent PCs can record decent sound without a "studio quality" microphone.

Good luck,

David

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe