Online places to sell an instrument?

November 18, 2006 at 06:32 AM · I have a viola I am selling, and am not sure, other than Craigslist, where to post it - I don't really want to consign. Any suggestions?

Replies (7)

November 18, 2006 at 05:34 PM · Ebay & Perhaps Tarisio auction.

November 19, 2006 at 12:57 AM · usedviolins.com

But you might get a tone of scam email especially from overseas (say Nigieria)...

November 19, 2006 at 12:58 AM · I think you can do it on: www.maestronet.com

November 19, 2006 at 02:05 AM · maestronet.com

I don't think so. It says:...BUT NOT TO LIST INSTRUMENTS FOR SALE.

November 19, 2006 at 07:17 AM · Not in the forums. There's another section called 'the showroom' for instrument sales. I'm not sure how active it is though.

The auctions listed in the first post are probably the best bet if you have to do it online. The choice of which to use will depend on your savvy and the value of your instrument.

November 20, 2006 at 06:48 PM · The main problem with getting your instrument (from any price level) from e-bay or other online sources is where to take it when it needs to be fixed, when you want to step up in qua;ity, or especially in this case, when you change sizes. Most shops are less than enthusiastic about working on a sub-standard instrument that was purchased online, and the amount you would get for trading ii in (if they would take it at all) would be negligable. if possible try to find a local shop, start with a modest rental instrument. If your 7-year old likes to play and wants to continue, most shops will give a rental credit towards the purchase of an instrument. This purchased instrument now has an actual trade-in value as, again, most shops do a trade-in of instruments they have sold of (typically) between 75-100%. Buying an instrument at the $150 price range from e-bay may end up saving you $100 now and costing you many hundreds more later.

November 20, 2006 at 07:59 PM · Thanks for your suggestions! The instrument I'm selling is fairly nice - a real instrument, and other instruments by the luthier who made it go for $10,000-$20,000. I bought it directly from him for 6,000, when it was just made. It seems too nice to sell on ebay and not fancy enough for tarisio. If that sparks any more ideas from anyone that would be great.

Incidentally, I'm selling this viola not because it's too small (I haven't grown in THAT way in years) but because it's too big and I am not playing it because it's uncomfortable. I just bought an instrument that fits me better and need to sell the old one to pay for the new...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe