Fiberglass Bobelock Case

November 17, 2006 at 07:11 PM · I noticed on Bobelock's website that they offer a fiberglass violin case that costs less than half of what Bam's case costs. Plus the interior looks much more forgiving and accomodating than than the Bam's. Does anyone have any experience with this case? I love the way that the Bam Hightech looks, but I don't really want to spend that kind of money. I am also nervous as to how well it can be protected in that case. Can anyone help me out?

Replies (10)

November 18, 2006 at 11:04 PM · We own both. My viola daughter has the Bobelock fiberglass case and my violin daughter has a Bam Hightech case. We like the Bobelock a lot. It comes with a nylon overcase that works for storing sheet music. I'm not sure if I would spring for the Bam again. The bow spinners have broken and it's difficult to latch. But what's done is done. I'm surprised how worn the Bam case is after just over a year of heavy use. I might consider ordering a Carson case in he future. It's not much more expensive than Bam and is apparently much more protetive. Plus, with a factory order you can specify the colors.

November 18, 2006 at 11:39 PM · I have one of those bright pink bobelock fibreglass cases and it is a fantastic case. Great solid protection, well padded and laid out nicely inside, plus a beautiful finish.

The only things that I see as a not so good is no music pocket unless you leave it in the nylon overcase, heavy and those backpack straps are not usable as the case is really hard against you back. But overall I love the case.

November 19, 2006 at 12:33 AM · Hi,

Are these fiberglass cases easy to get scratches or little dings and dents? My bathtub (whirlpool made of something + fiberglass) seems to get chipped quite easily (or my contractors just deserve some curses from me. :D ).

November 19, 2006 at 12:09 PM · Though these cases are pretty tough. I do not think it would take much to scuff or scratch them, though to put a big ding in it would take a bit. I must admit I leave mine in the overcase except for the rare "show off" occasion so it has yet to get any marks on it.

November 19, 2006 at 12:23 PM · I have a bobelock featherlite 1003v which I really like. It has four bow holders, only weighs like 6 lbs, and was under $200.

November 19, 2006 at 04:11 PM · Bobelocks are good value for the $. The fiberglass shell will get dinged, but those are cosmetic and the battle scars just mean you're getting good use out of them, right?

November 19, 2006 at 07:40 PM · I got a Bobelock fiberglass case for the look well over a year ago. I got the white exterior because I always loved those cello fiberglass cases that are white and thought it would be cool to slap some stickers on it, etc. My case got banged up a lot and got a lot of dents fast and cracked eventually. I didn't even want to bother using my warranty for them to send me another one.

The interior is sturdy with the suspension and the shoulder rest holder - all very nice.

In the long run - I still have it and use it occasionally - people always are drawn to it. I ended up buying a Tarisio Case from a violin shop in Nebraska. I've been much more pleased with that.

November 6, 2007 at 03:50 AM · I have a half-moon black violin case. It's a nice case. It does get scratches on it, but I had it for two years, and i didnt get much scratches on it. It's about six and a half pounds. The music pocket comes with accesory pockets for strings, pencil, metronomes, etc. The interior is nice. It has a humidifier, hygrometer, string tube, the accesory pocket is adequate, and a shoulder rest clip below the violin neck. It does come with a nylon cover case just in case you dont' want to get your case dinged. I love my case. :) Everybody asks what kind of case it is, because i never saw anybody else with my kind of case. FineCases.com used to sell these cases, but not anymore (at least, when I checked back two weeks ago :(

November 24, 2007 at 12:47 AM · I just got a black oblong one. It looks beautiful, holds 4 bows and has a lot of neat features. I also really like the backpack option. Because it's brand new, I can't comment on its longevity. So far, the only thing that's been bothering me is the lack of built-in music pouch as I don't like the bulky cover that comes with it and never use it.

November 24, 2007 at 06:51 PM · I have a half-moon black fiberglass case. It's 6.5 pounds so its not too heavy. My case came with a music pocket attatched to it with interior pockets for metronome, extra strings, pencils, etc. The extra case cover is useful if you want to protect the case from being scratched. I had mine for about two years and mine doesnt have many scratches on it. It has suspension system, hygrometer/humidifier, 2 bow holders, string tube. Its nice!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe