Anne-Sophie Mutter recital at Carnegie Hall

November 17, 2006 at 07:11 PM · I saw Mutter at Carnegie Hall Last playing all Mozart recital, it's the first time I hear her play, I was blown away. She's the only violinist so far ( I saw Kramer, Hahn and Vengerov perform) that was able to fill the hall with her gorgeous sound. I have season tickets in the dressing circle on the balcony, and you really sense if the performer is able to project the sound of his fiddle.

Replies (23)

November 17, 2006 at 10:44 PM · Anne-Sophie is awesome!! I saw her on the 12th in Chicago. Her bow arm is amazing!

November 18, 2006 at 08:01 AM · She was the first great violinist I ever saw, when I was a boy (I asked her after the recital, to paint me a little violin beneath her autograph: she painted 2). I heard her recently again and was fascinated of her sound. Simply fascinated, so much more thrilling than that wild-things-recordings, I use to buy on CD.

If you liked her performance, Thierry, you'll find some videos & interviews concerning her Mozart-project on her site, which has some funny features like a multimedia-timeline with a video of her playing Kreisler in the age of 9 in TV etc...

November 19, 2006 at 09:48 PM · ASM, i love her! amazing musician, great artistry.

November 20, 2006 at 04:47 AM · I just saw her at CSO (Chicago Symphony Orchestra) on 12th playing Mozart. Absolutely fantastic! I sat in the center of the main floor, and the sound was clear and full. Truly amazing.

Oops, I just saw Sydney's post. Hi neighbor! Maybe we sat next to each other? :D

November 20, 2006 at 08:27 AM · i heard she played a Finigan rather than her Strad at that recital, is that right?

November 20, 2006 at 01:50 PM · I have heard her a couple of times. She is an excellent technician, but I do not particularly care for her interpretations.

November 20, 2006 at 09:33 PM · I was at the recital in Carnegie last night. I never cared for her much because her vibrato on recording was a bit er.. too unique. Her interpretations are pretty out of the ordinary too. Seeing her live totally made me change my opinion about her vibrato. It wasn't forged/wobbly like it sounded in recording. Not to mention, her stage presence is just lovely with no excessive movements. I'm glad I went.

November 20, 2006 at 10:37 PM · Greetings,

I think there are certain players who either sound better live or from a recording studio although they are fnatastic in both. Mutter is very much as you say to my mind.  Gil Shaham too seems even better as a recorded artist for me,

Cheers,

Buri

November 21, 2006 at 12:10 AM · I love her Brahms concerto recording=AMAZING!

Great sound and vibrato..Very musical too

Better than Hahn and Vengerov imo

November 21, 2006 at 04:17 AM · [quote]

i heard she played a Finigan rather than her Strad at that recital, is that right?

[/quote]

I was wondering about that. The violin looked very shiny to me (I could see it quite clearly from my seat). The violin did not look like Emilian to me, but I didn't know what she used. Nice to sit in the center not too close and too far from the center stage. She is beautiful.

November 21, 2006 at 04:21 AM · [quote]

Gil Shaham too seems even better as a recorded artist for me,

[/quote]

Shaham is coming to Chicago next year. Should I go or should I just stick to his recording? :D

November 21, 2006 at 05:48 AM · Greetings,

of course you should go. He may have reversed his position just to confuse you,

Cheers,

Buri

November 21, 2006 at 01:50 PM · Vivian - I have seen Shaham a number of times in concert, and he is always excellent. He may well be the best out there today. GO!

November 21, 2006 at 01:59 PM · Tom: Shaham is typical, not outstanding...

November 21, 2006 at 02:49 PM · Marc - whether or not you or I agree on whether Shaham is merely typical or outstanding, my point remains: he is excellent and she should go see him.

November 21, 2006 at 03:41 PM · excellent, I agree !

November 21, 2006 at 07:30 PM · Thanks, guys!

I am a big fan of Shaham's, but not a big fan of going out on a bus in the winter in Chicago. Now I've got your reassurance. :-D

April 12, 2007 at 06:32 AM · I haven't heard Anne live yet, but I love her recordings more than anything. I have not heard another violinist who able to allow the emotions in Mozart to come out the way she lets them speak. She dares to actually phrase and allow the music to move and speak for itself while I find that others are more inhibited. Like Jacqueline Du PrĂ©, she dares to allow room for the music to breath where others don't allow this to happen.

April 12, 2007 at 02:38 PM · It looks to me, when she plays great, it's not personal and distinctive, and when she is personal and distinctive, it's not great( the case with most of today's performers).But, thank G-d, she is trying something.

April 12, 2007 at 11:36 PM · I think I read in Strings magazine that she is retiring in a couple of years.

May 2, 2007 at 09:26 PM · "It looks to me, when she plays great, it's not personal and distinctive, and when she is personal and distinctive, it's not great( the case with most of today's performers).But, thank G-d, she is trying something.

"

I don't agree.

To me she is a violinist who really who actually dares to do things (things others would say are to much and thus shirk away from, or believe they are doing something when their playing is still quite sentimental and produced) She does something which allows the music to happen by itself. Her recording of the Bartok concerto to me is far superior to even Yehudi Menuhin whose playing sounds routined in that recording.

May 2, 2007 at 11:38 PM · I just heard her recording of the Debussy sonata and really liked it! Generally she hasn't been my favorite but I really liked her take on the Debussy, very improvisatory, almost parlando in places--my mom said it sounded like she was telling a story, and I had to agree.

May 3, 2007 at 05:14 PM · I wanted to go to this concert so bad. I had tickets to go see the NJ Symphony in NJPac instead. I have never heard her play live, but I think she is great on CDs I hear...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe