I'm so fed up with Finale Notepad! Here are my gripes:
1. You can't change the key signature or tempo in the middle of a piece. You have to start a new document each time you change the key or the tempo.
2. You can't control the number of measures per line of manuscript. Many pieces are written in a format like aabb, and I'd like to be able to start the b part on a fresh line. Also, if you want to slur the last note of one measure with the first note of the next measure, and the line breaks in the middle of your slur, you're out of luck.
3. You can't do grace notes.
4. You can't write a double stop with the same note twice (unison), such as E on the A string with open E.
5. You can't revise the title. I've written out bowing exercises in G major, for example, and I'm up the creek with regard to the title when I transpose them to D major.
6. Sometimes I can get the triplets to work, and sometimes I can't.
7. The mechanism for writing first and second endings is awkward at best. You have to draw a horizontal line; draw a vertical line; and then write in a number. The number often ends up some place where you really don't want it, i.e., on the staff, where it's illegible.
8. If you make certain revisions on the staff, your marks which go above or below the staff (slurs, for example) shift out of place.
9. You can't erase markings such as slurs.
I don't need audio playback. In fact, I always disable it because it sounds like a computer, not like music.
Finale Notepad is free. I have done a free trial of other Finale products, and they have the same problems.
I'm poverty stricken. I need something free or dirt cheap. Sibelius seems to be the gold standard, and it's outrageously, prohibitively expensive. I've checked prices on amazon.com, ebay, and half.com. There is an academic version of Sibelius, but it's about $400, which I can't afford. There is a student grade Sibelius, which sells for about $90. I don't want to gamble with that much money. Has anyone tried it?
There are cheap scorewriters, such as Melody Assistant, which costs about $30. Does anyone have experience with this or other similar software packages?
Thanks in advance for your help.
This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.
Violinist.com is made possible by...
Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.