judges prior knowledge of a performer

November 12, 2006 at 06:13 AM · I am wondering... my child has the 'opportunity' to play before a group of judges who need students to 'judge' so they can come to an agreement on the criteria for levels of playing.

My kid is quite young and I would like to know some opinions on whether we should do this. I would not want to taint my child's future at such an early age as I feel that because these would be the same judges who determine the pass or fail of my children at future graduations, knowing that judges are extremely subjective, they hold the fate of my kids in their hands.

Sorry this is so poorly worded. I realize this seems like it may not be appropriate at this forum but I think it is a big decision. Our teacher does not think so, however. He feels that judges are impartial and it does not matter if they have seen a performer before, they judge on the performance, and all comments they provide during this 'practice' exam will be passed onto us.

What would you do and what would someone so accomplished as Mr. Bell do, given this opportunity? Would you play for these judges so they can practice 'examining' or not? I have every confidence that my child will perform well but I don't have full confidence in the judges....

Replies (3)

November 12, 2006 at 09:54 AM · By "Mr. Bell" do you mean Joshua Bell? I don't think he plays for exam judges...

If it were my child I'd trust the teacher. If the teacher thinks your child is prepared to play for this panel, then it's probably true. The comments you receive back from the judges will be useful and perhaps enlightening.

November 13, 2006 at 12:42 AM · You may learn quite a bit. Then again you may not. It all depends on the judge's ability to do their job.

November 13, 2006 at 01:05 AM · If the judges were negatively influenced in the future by what they saw now, it would all be a big farce. I'd say go for it now and try something different in the future if it turns into a farce.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe