Christmas Music

November 7, 2006 at 12:52 AM · I'm looking for some advanced-ish arrangements of Christmas/holiday songs for playing at some holiday gatherings. All I can find is the easier stuff like at virtualsheetmusic.com. It can be violin solo/duet/quartet/whatever etc.

I'd especially love to find a beautiful arrangements of Greensleves and O Holy Night.

Thanks!

Replies (15)

November 8, 2006 at 08:14 PM · Me, too. Good Christmas arrangements are hard to find!

November 8, 2006 at 08:31 PM · Are you looking for string quartets, trios or what? There are some good arrangements around.

November 8, 2006 at 08:29 PM · I use the "Fantasia on Greensleeves" violin/piano arrangement by Michael Mullinar, published by Oxford University Press. It is very pretty, and always a crowd pleaser.

November 8, 2006 at 10:32 PM · What about Corelli's Christmas Concerto?

November 9, 2006 at 02:30 PM · I have used a number of collections in my public-school teaching, for players of various advancements. As follows: Christmas Kaleidoscope bk.1- easy keys and time sigs., mostly very familiar to American players. Christmas Kaleidoscope bk.2- harder keys and time sigs., some slightly less familiar. These are interesting books because th arrangements are completely interchangeable for solo through quartet in any mix. For my own quartet, but also OK for kids, we like 25 Christmas Carols by Irma Clarke. Nice variety, many with sweet, restful-sounding arrangements. Finally European Christmas Carols for 3 violins, arr.Klaus Luft, pub.1990 in Germany but I got as a Warner publication last year. Pretty tricky as to keys, times, and unfamiliar in America, for sure.

November 9, 2006 at 09:38 PM · Anne, how difficult is that Fantasia on Greensleeves? Shar doesn't have an ASTA grade on it, and I can't really tell from the orchestral arrangement.

November 9, 2006 at 09:43 PM · For intermediate/advanced String Quartet I would strongly recommend a Christmas Suite "And Therefore Be Merry" by Joyce which runs on a good 15-20 minutes using old traditional carols. It can be played as a single piece or in smaller segments but it is both very beautiful, atmospheric, and humorous by turn. It is a brilliant piece and available from latham Music 1-800-645-7022 in North Carolina. They have lots of other arrangements and solo pieces as well that vary greatly in quality.

Also there are arrangements by Matthew Naughton, a San Fransisco cellist, that are excellent for quartet - including a beautiful Greensleaves with prominent viola solo, Carol of the Bells, etc. many others plus several complete suites. Great stuff, again upper intermediate to advanced and very reasonable. I think his email is mattmus@mindspring.com

November 9, 2006 at 11:14 PM · Karin- 3ish on the ASTA scale. This arrangement is a direct lift from the string orchestra/harp/flute original.

November 10, 2006 at 05:04 PM · Great, Anne, thanks for the response. I can handle ASTA 3 for sure :)

November 19, 2006 at 10:25 AM · The Capriol Suite by Warlock is suited to the same kind of audience as Greensleeves, plus you could argue it is suitable for Christmas, because it is based on old French dances....On the 10th day of Christmas my true love sent to me - 10 lords a leaping.

It seems to be available for orchestra, or just violin accompanied by piano and is rated as intermediate by musicroom.com. It has some really lovely chords in the slow movements that kind of draw you in. Off to get my own copy now.

December 14, 2006 at 11:12 PM · Please check out www.sanibelmusic.org/publications

Our arrangement catalog includes many popular

songs, movie themes, rock and jazz,

Beatles, Coldplay, Latin, Gershwin, Jobim, Porter, Broadway hits, Bocelli, Piazzolla, Presley, waltzes, classical works, Christmas and Hanukkah, all standard wedding music (including many Jewish songs) and so much more...

Each arrangement includes the parts and score.

All arrangements by Krystof Witek.

December 15, 2006 at 09:39 PM · if you can find it, theres a really pretty duet of the first noel and pachabels canon, it fab!

December 16, 2006 at 12:24 AM · I just bought a set called "Holiday Music through the Centuries" from Latham Music, Ltd. Six interesting and varied pieces, not traditional, so useable any time of year, too. I see from the catalog on the back cover that they have six other Christmas collections ranging from trad.carols, to jazz, to the Nutcracker. My set was $12.50. A score is available separately for $5. 800-645-7022 or www.latham-music.com Sue

December 16, 2006 at 02:54 AM · ooh- I like Latham's mp3's to play along with.

December 16, 2006 at 05:08 AM · Never played Ave in D Sue--very nice--and good for my reach issues (becoming past).... The lady who arranged these is awesome.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe