Vivaldi - The Movie!

October 28, 2006 at 05:29 AM · Having just discussed the proposed movie about Beethoven, along comes the proposal to do a sex and violins epic about Vivaldi. http://arts.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1928627,00.html.

Oh well, I guess I'll never get used to the modern truism, "The dollar is mightier than the truth."...

Neil

Replies (18)

October 28, 2006 at 06:17 PM · When has truth ever been a major criterion for a movie biography?

I can just see the movie trailers now (narrated by that guy they always use who has that low voice and sounds like he has a combination of laryngitis, TB, and a head cold):

"Francesca thought she was just going for an audition for the all-girl orchestra at the church, but she had no idea she would be playing the violin for all four seasons, and being directed by a demon from the netherworld - part composer, part priest, part violinist, all wolf. Vivaldi - The Movie. See it...if you dare."

:) Sandy

October 28, 2006 at 07:15 PM · When has truth ever been a major criterion for a movie biography?

Never, but, I live in hope. :)

Any guess as to what music will play behind the voice-over for that trailer script Sandy?

Neil

October 30, 2006 at 03:05 PM · Probably some rock group.

December 17, 2007 at 11:25 PM · *When has truth ever been a major criterion for a movie biography?*

Actually a very excellent (and fact-based) play about Vivaldi premiered in San Francisco last summer. It was just recently put on YouTube -- if you're interested you can see it by going to the site and entering search words: Red Priest of Venice.

Tom

December 17, 2007 at 11:38 PM · Ah truth! sigh.

December 18, 2007 at 01:42 AM · Vivaldi taught/coached a girl's school, Sylvester Staloan taught/coached an all girl's volley ball team in Europe thus avoiding being drafted to fight in Viet-Nam....

So what war was Vivaldi dodging?

Sandy- I hope you put your mystery anouncer's voice to this one!

December 18, 2007 at 07:45 PM · I am left speachless!

Hollywood Entertainment takes a stab at Vivaldi.

Why isn't Brad Pitt playing the title role. Along with Vivaldi's orphan, he already has a serial habit of picking up talented actresses (Juliet Lewis, Gwenn Paltrow, Jennifer Aniston and then Angelina). He says himself he plays guitar badly (this should be good enough for a Hollywood version of Vivaldi and in style with his and their ambition).

December 18, 2007 at 10:22 PM · Sandy - you've clearly missed your calling. You should be in LA in the entertainment industry. Belated Chag Sameach.

December 18, 2007 at 11:10 PM · This movie might actually turn out being better than we fear. Of course they have to put something about "sex and violins" in the headlines to grab people's attention, but that's all marketing.

And just remember, however bad it is, it can never approach rock bottom as far as bad movies about great composers are concerned...

January 16, 2008 at 04:56 PM · Oh yes, I think it can get worse. Go here for a preview of the Mechanik's film (if you dare....)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPj2aqOcSKQ

January 16, 2008 at 06:13 PM · I just got my copy of "Copying Beethoven" from my on-line DVD rental company. I am looking forward to an evening of scintillating entertainment. After all, are not DVDs "Boxed, Like Proust"?

January 16, 2008 at 08:30 PM · Anne, doesn't this remind you a bit of the plot of Vivaldi's Virgins? I bet the author is just writhing, wishing it could have been her book, used as an adaptation.

Hey, I'm all game. They make the movie, I'll go see it. I love stuff like this. Will have to check out the Beethoven one you all are talking about.

January 16, 2008 at 08:42 PM · Yah, that thought crossed my mind. But, just think of the Shoe Budget the producers would have had to finance...

I watched the Youtube clip that Tom was nice enough to find, and I had a "Thornbirds" flashback. Bleh. I'll probably end up putting it on the on-line DVD rental company queue anyway.

April 11, 2008 at 08:29 PM · Go here:

http://Red Priest of Venice

April 12, 2008 at 12:06 AM · I've never seen a movie about a classical composer that wasn't totally cheesy.

April 12, 2008 at 01:01 AM · Scott: "Copying Beethoven" too cheesy? Ed Harris is pretty cool, no?

April 12, 2008 at 05:39 AM · I love Copying Beethoven!!

April 12, 2008 at 09:39 PM · Hey Scott, life is full of surprises...

http://www.Not-a-Cheesy-Movie-about-a Composer

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe