The Russian Violin School after the revolution in 1917 was little known to the West as few violinist were allowed to travel freely outside Russia at that time. The Hungarian violinist Leopold Auer, who taught at St. Petersburg from 1868 to 1917 left a strong legacy behind when he fled the Soviet Union. His former students and assistants who remained in the country continued his legacy and became part of the new Violin School that produced many successful violinists.
The Russian School is a broad term. According to Masha Lankovsky, it represents a combination of foreign and native elements over many centuries. Many people associated the Russian school with the Russian bow hold as described by Carl Flesch in his book "The Art of Violin Playing". However, there was no evident to that and Auer himself claimed that there should be no exact rules in how to hold the bow.
Yuri Yankelevich taught at the Moscow Conservatory. He started as an assistant to Abraham Yampolsky, who himself studied with Sergei Korguyev, a former student and assistant to Leopold Auer. Yankelevich's analytical nature and strong pedagogy intuition allowed him to publish some of the most important research on violin pedagogy. Read about two of his original essays published in the book "The Russian Violin School: The Legacy of Yuri Yankelevich" HERE.
This article has been archived and is no longer accepting comments.
Violinist.com is made possible by...