The Week in Reviews, Op. 230: Isabelle Faust; Joshua Bell; Patricia Kopatchinskaja
In an effort to promote the coverage of live violin performance, Violinist.com each week presents links to reviews of notable concerts and recitals around the world.
Isabelle Faust performed the Robert Schumann Violin Concerto with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.
- Chicago Tribune: "...she made Schumann’s problematic opus succeed despite itself."
Isabelle Faust. Photo by Felix Broede.
Patricia Kopatchinskaja performed Ligeti's Violin Concerto with the Aurora Orchestra at the Southbank Centre’s Ligeti in Wonderland festival.
- The Guardian: "And then there was Kopatchinskaja in the violin work, an astonishing force of nature, powering her way through its hair-raising difficulties as the orchestra conjured a half-remembered world that seems gradually to be slipping beyond recall, and throwing in a cadenza of her own for good measure, one totally consistent with Ligeti’s surreal world."
Joshua Bell performed the Bruch Concerto with the Columbus Symphony Orchestra.
- The Columbus Dispatch: "Bell’s live performance has a visceral immediacy that his recordings sometimes miss beneath layers of studio engineering. Always honest, often tender, and occasionally a little raspy, the solo violin had a deeply soulful, nearly human, character."
Vadim Gluzman performed Beethoven’s Violin Concerto with the ProMusica Chamber Orchestra.
- The Columbus Dispatch: "Gluzman played with his usual abandon, sailing through technical passages and sustaining lyrical moments with unflagging line."
Cho-Liang Lin performed Lalo Schifrin's "Tangos Concertantes" with the Greensboro Symphony Orchestra.
- News & Record: "Lin’s performance was exquisite: wonderful phrasing, impeccable intonation and a flexible rhythm that gave the music a quasi-improvised feel."
Renaud Capucon performed the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra.
- EdinburghGuide.com: "A remarkable player, his nuances were superb. His top notes were unsurpassed."
Emmanuelle Boisvert performed the Berg Violin Concerto with the Dallas Symphony Orchestra.
- The Dallas Morning News: "DSO associate concertmaster Emmanuelle Boisvert gave this challenging work a commanding performance, of technical precision but also emotional warmth. Whether skittering or meandering, even in double stops, pitches were pinpointed with laserlike acuity."
Susanna Perry Gilmore performed the Berg Violin Concerto with the Omaha Symphony.
- Omaha World-Herald: "Concertmaster Susanna Perry Gilmore gave a fantastic and earnest performance as the concerto’s soloist. Her connection to the orchestra throughout such unique and complex material was admirable."
Please support music in your community by attending a concert or recital whenever you can!
You might also like:
This article has been archived and is no longer accepting comments.