2018 Sphinx Competition Laureates Announced
Congratulations to laureates in the 21st Annual Sphinx Competition in Michigan!
Click here to view the Finals Concert, which took place Sunday in Detroit's Orchestra Hall, with Senior Division finalists performing with the Sphinx Symphony Orchestra.
The Sphinx Competition is open to all junior high, high school, and college-age Black and Latino string players residing in the United States. Jury members for 2018 are Pamela Frank, Juan-Miguel Hernandez, Jamie Laredo, Rachel Barton Pine, Sharon Robinson, Dmitry Sitkovetsky and Peter Wiley.
Senior Division Laureates (Age 18-30):
L-R: Randall Goosby, Rubén Rengel, Gabriel Martins. Photo courtesy Sphinx Organization.
- First Place ($50,000): Rubén Rengel, 22, violin
The Shepherd School at Rice University
Teacher: Paul Kantor
- Second Place ($20,000): Gabriel Martins, 19, cello
USC Thornton School
Teacher: Ralph Kirshbaum
- Third Place ($10,000): Randall Goosby, 21, violin,
The Juilliard School
Teachers: Itzhak Perlman, Catherine Cho)
- Audience Choice ($10,000):
Junior Division Laureates (Age 17 and under):
L-R: Levi Powe, Sophia Ines Valenti, Sophia Ayer. Photo courtesy Sphinx Organization.
- First place ($10,000): Levi Powe, 17, cello
Teacher: Mary Beth Tyndall
- Second place ($5,000): Sophia Ayer, 15, violin
McCallum High School
Teacher: Pasha Sabouri
- Third place ($3,000): Sophia Ines Valenti, 14, viola
San Francisco Conservatory Pre-College
Teacher: Dimitri Murrath
You might also like:
This article has been archived and is no longer accepting comments.