The Week in Reviews, Op. 189: Anne-Sophie Mutter; Isabelle Faust; Lisa Batiashvili
In an effort to promote the coverage of live violin performance, Violinist.com each week presents links to reviews of notable concerts and recitals around the world.
Anne-Sophie Mutter performed the Tchaikovsky with the Boston Symphony Orchestra.
- The Berkshire Eagle: "Fearlessly, inventively and irresistibly, with gleaming tone, Mutter found ever-new twists and turns in the old favorite, taking the BSO along with her in the wild ride."
Anne-Sophie Mutter. Photo by Bastian Achard.
Isabelle Faust performed Mozart's Third Violin Concerto with the Chamber Orchestra of Europe.
- The Arts Desk: "If from a distance in the Albert Hall you had to lean in to catch the nuances, that's no bad thing; and Faust's vibrato-light line in the Adagio was a delight. So was her choice of startling cadenzas by her frequent duo partner, pianist Andreas Staier, the last introducing a repeated pizzicato in homage to Mozart's use of it in a belated rondo-theme and carrying it over into the final fun and games."
Lisa Batiashvili performed the Sibelius with the Staatskapelle Berlin.
- The Guardian: "...Sibelius’s Violin Concerto, with Lisa Batiashvili as the fabulously agile, intense soloist..."
Alina Ibragimova performed Bartok's Violin Concerto No. 2 with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra.
- The Sydney Morning Herald: "Ibragimova gave a towering and thrilling performance, projecting this wonderfully varied yet powerfully unified structure with brilliant intensity and precision, and shaping each idea with nuanced interest and spirit."
Anne Akiko Meyers performed the Mendelssohn with the Bowdoin International Music Festival.
- Maine Classical Beat: "Meyers was technically and emotionally superb, like a great actress who forces an audience to listen to every word by subtle modulations of a quiet voice."
Please support music in your community by attending a concert or recital whenever you can!
You might also like:
This article has been archived and is no longer accepting comments.