Watch the Indianapolis Competition Livestream

Printer-friendly version
Kelsey Z.

I have a dilemma

April 7, 2007 at 8:33 PM

I have a dilemma. A good dilemma, but a dilemma.

I've been accepted into Memorial University for their music program (yay!!!) with the recommendation of a very substantial scholarship. Now for the dilemma. I have to give my response by April 13th. I won't have even done my last audition at that point and I won't know the results of my second audition until the following week.

I'm ecstatic and a little confused about my next step.

From Tommy Atkinson
Posted on April 7, 2007 at 8:48 PM
Here in the US, schools can't make you give a definite answer until May 1. You might ask if you can get an extension on letting them know if you're going to accept or not. If the school wants you, odds are they'll bend a little bit, especially on deadlines.
From Caeli Smith
Posted on April 7, 2007 at 9:01 PM
What happens if you accept, but then withdraw? Is a deposit required for acceptance? Is it an amount you would be willing to forfeit if you receive a better offer?
From Pieter Viljoen
Posted on April 8, 2007 at 3:57 AM
Hi Kelsey,

When I applied to schools, I had the choice between McGill and Laurier. Obviously McGill is probably the best place to study in the country, but, Laurier gave me the president scholarship or whatever. Anyways, it was worth a lot of money. However, there are downsides to accepting. A) The city in both cases is not as good as something like UBC (so less culture, less exposure) B) Lower quality of peers. The quality of your peers is very important in your own development.

So, I think you should go somewhere else.

From Pauline Lerner
Posted on April 8, 2007 at 6:06 AM
Congratulations on your acceptance and scholarship. I like Caeli's comment and suggest you follow up on it. Personally, I'm not much of a risk taker, so if I were in your situation, I'd take the offer you have now.
From Richard Hellinger
Posted on April 8, 2007 at 1:11 PM
That is a delema... Congrats on getting accepted though!!!!
From Kelsey Z.
Posted on April 8, 2007 at 4:54 PM
Thank you all for your comments!

Pieter, I've followed up on yours via email.

Caeli, I do not know the exact penalties in regards to accepting and thing withdrawing but financially, I'm not in a situation where I can afford to put too much out and not get it back.

From Pauline Lerner
Posted on April 9, 2007 at 4:24 AM
Kelsey, let us know what you decide to do and how it works out. I'm hoping for the very best results for you.

This entry has been archived and is no longer accepting comments.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Coltman Competition

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe