Bruch Achievability?

Edited: January 3, 2018, 9:40 AM · Hi all,

Happy New Year!! I've posted quite a few threads about the Bruch violin concerto and finally decided to talk to my private instructor about the piece itself. Based on my current abilities, we've compiled a close to final repertoire/etude/scale list as a target to work up to the Bruch. I wanted to ask if this list seems like a good target list to work up to the Bruch and if the sequence of all the repertoire seems okay. To give you some background, I'm currently working on the Phillip Glass Violin Concerto (Movement 2) and the Wieniawski "Legende." In addition, I work on Kreutzer etudes and certain exercises of Carl Flesch scales daily. My most recent repertoire includes the 2nd movement of the Deberiot 9 concerto and the Accolay Concerto.

After completing Legende...
1) Finish rest of Deberiot 9 concerto
2) Vitali Chaconne
3) Intro and Tarantella
4) P&A - Kreisler
5) Mozart 4 Violin Concerto
6) Bruch G Minor Concerto (2nd movement, then 1st, and then 3rd.)

Throughout, work on Flesch Scales (mostly thirds, sixths, octaves), Finish Kreutzer etudes, and work on Solo Bach sonatas/partitas (excluding Ciaconna) in between.

Does this list seem okay?

Replies (10)

January 2, 2018, 3:39 PM · The list seems very good and comprehensive, except that I would exclude the Bach fugues and maybe the adagios as well as the Chaconne from your list. Even the easiest fugue, the g minor, is harder than Bruch in my opinion.
Edited: January 2, 2018, 5:02 PM · Now that you know your teacher does not have manure for brains maybe you will ask him or her first next time and save yourself a lot of hand wringing.

I agree with Mary Ellen that you don't need quite so much Bach. Maybe trade some of it for Kabalevsky?

Edited: January 3, 2018, 10:46 AM · Yes.. haha that is a choice I should have made much sooner!
January 3, 2018, 11:37 AM · How many years or hours you have practiced? The third movement of Bruch even the whole concerto is more difficult than your path listed above, maybe you can try Mozart No.3&5 or zingeunerweisen before Bruch.
January 3, 2018, 1:09 PM · Zigeunerweisen is not easier than Bruch.
January 3, 2018, 1:39 PM · That's what I thought as well. My practice time varies based on my schedule and the day of the week in particular. Usually, my practice time is between 2-4 hours.
Edited: January 6, 2018, 8:49 AM · Currently doing the Bruch now.

I haven't played most of these pieces, but in terms of the Bruch concerto itself, here are just some technical prerequisites I can observe from my end, in no particular order. See if this fits your repertoire:

1. Legato - long, smooth bow strokes with a solid, astounding tone. I think the opening in Kreisler P&A will address this?

2. Rhythms - a lot of it is quite tricky, so you'll have to do some subdivision and even BOW division (i.e. that the septlet in the solo, instead of thinking "7 notes in a beat", you really have to think "2,2,2, and 1 note on the four strings")

3. Tricky scales and arpeggios with tricky rhythms - especially the bottom of the second page.

4. OCTAVES! You'll need to know both fingerings (14 and 13) because chances are you'll get to use both.

As I'm only on the first movement, these will apply to the first movement but may/may not apply to the latter two movements. Let me know what you think!

January 3, 2018, 8:15 PM · Some of that repertoire is probably more difficult than the Bruch.
January 4, 2018, 5:13 AM · Frank Song: Thank you for these technique tips! I have been working on most of these in Carl Flesch scales but I'll definitely be sure to work on the others! Thanks!
January 4, 2018, 3:32 PM · go for it! :)

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Aria International Summer Academy