Piece to play

December 31, 2017, 1:36 PM · Hello everyone, so my violin teacher told me that at the end of january i need to start studying a piece but i'm not completly sure which one yet since he told me to come up with some ideas. I arrived at n. 21 of the Kreutzer 42 studies, i'm more of a fan of the romanticism if that can help. What level am I out of 10? and what cool piece could I play? thanks in advance!

Replies (9)

December 31, 2017, 2:01 PM · What are you playing right now?
December 31, 2017, 2:51 PM · if you mean pieces then nothing with my teacher because we need to start one but on april i finished to study preludio and allegro of pugnani-kreisler
December 31, 2017, 3:23 PM · What else have you played recently besides P & A? How well could you play P & A? (i.e. up to tempo and cleanly; not quite up to tempo and/or not completely cleanly; and so on) Bartok Rumanian Dances is a good piece for someone who has mastered P & A. Other pieces of comparable level are the Kabalevsky Concerto and DeBeriot #9.
December 31, 2017, 3:38 PM · Wow, I actually wanted to suggest to my teacher the Romanian Dances of Bartok, i can play P & A very good and clean with good tempo, i even won a competition with 99/100 with that piece
December 31, 2017, 3:38 PM · Gemma,

What exactly does your teacher call a "piece." An Etude is a technical study, but not what anyone would call a "performance" piece.

Is this to be for a performance or just a technical study to increase your skills?

December 31, 2017, 3:57 PM · Some Bach unaccompanied movements are suitable. Danse Espagnole and certain movements of the Lalo and Bruch concertos are possibilities.
December 31, 2017, 6:34 PM · Mostly for a performance and thanks for the suggestions!
December 31, 2017, 7:17 PM · Kabalevsky and deBeriot 9, those are good suggestions. The latter has more of a romantic feel.
But if you've not done Mozart, don't put it off, it's important. Also Bach is "romantic" in its own way. You could do Partita 2, d minor, without chaccone or Partita 3, e major.
December 31, 2017, 7:48 PM · The Sarabande from Partita 1 might be a possibility, as well as some Mozart concertos. Some Mozart and Beethoven sonatas might suit you as well.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Jameasy
Jameasy

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin