L. Chen Beijing bow

December 29, 2017, 8:48 PM · I recently tried and liked a bow stamped L. CHEN BEIJING (I believe, the first letter is faint) that I really liked. It is gold mounted with a faux tortoise shell frog. Does anyone know anything about the maker? It was part of a personal collection of an American maker now deceased of what he considered the best of what he found during his career. It also is stamped with his name on the reverse side.

Replies (3)

December 29, 2017, 9:08 PM · Long-gen Chen.

He is one of the most famous contemporary bow makers in China. Actually, I just had a conversation with a friend of mine who is a professional violinist/collector. He did not have much to say about Long-gen Chen, though. He said that he once tried 30 of his bows in one session, and he only liked one.

Is the bow you like a worksop bow or a bow made by him? Either case, in a similar price range, i think you can find many more options which are at least as good and have better consistencies from other famous contemporary makers, which will also help in retaining the value of the bow better.

December 30, 2017, 6:10 AM · My thoughts as well. Im not sure if its his shop or his, but it is selling for about 3k. I haven't shopped in that range too much, but I'd be interested in exploring other comparable bows and makers and possibly go higher for better resale value
December 31, 2017, 9:26 PM · AW:
You need to spend at least $2K for a good pernambuco bow that is not made either in China or Brazil these days. And if you can find a Rodney Mohr workshop bow for $2K-3K, it is not only a great bow to play and practice on everyday, but it will also be great for resale value.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases