Self-taught beginner violinist looking for pieces around the same difficulty as Canon in D to learn

Edited: December 29, 2017, 6:00 PM · Self-taught 15-year old beginner violinist looking for classical pieces around the same difficulty as Canon in D to learn. I want to expand my repertoire so I can continue to develop my skills and so I can stop repeating Canon over and over again while I practice.

(Edit) https://musescore.com/user/88585/scores/105013 (arrangement of Canon I have learned)

Replies (17)

Edited: December 29, 2017, 6:02 PM · Canon in D is too difficult for you unless simplified. What other pieces are you working on?
I remember that taking lessons isn't an option for you, right?
Edited: December 29, 2017, 9:16 PM · Ella Yu- The arrangement I have been playing might have been simplified,(link in OP to the piece) at a slightly slower pace. So a piece around the difficulty of this arrangement would be nice would be nice.

And yes lessons will not be an option until I can find a teacher that fits into my schedule. Additionally, I need to wait until I get a job to pay for the aforementioned lessons

Another piece I have been working on is June, from Tchaikovsky's The Seasons.

December 29, 2017, 10:02 PM · My advice is to avoid anything with notes higher than B5, as you'll have to shift to reach them. Avoid double stops. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.
December 29, 2017, 10:15 PM · Ella Yu- That's fine I'll keep looking for pieces that fit your criteria, thanks.
December 30, 2017, 3:44 AM · That arrangement of Canon does not look simplified to me, with the 1/32 and 3rd position notes. Of course it depends on the tempo, but with three months of teacherless violin practice (based on your earlier posts), it looks a bit ambitious.

The Suzuki books are a collection of classical repertoire at progressive difficulty level. Otherwise, Perlman "Indian Concertino" is fun and relatively easy, though not really "classical". It's on IMSLP, although maybe not for your country.

When you already know how to read music and you try to learn a new instrument, it is very tempting to try and learn to finger as many notes as possible and to increase speed. It will seem as if you make tremendous advance in days or weeks. And then you hit a wall, with pieces and passages that you can't get right no matter how hard you practice.

And then you see a teacher, who will immediately see that your technique is all wrong and that you have to, basically, start over from the beginning(*). And then figure out how to deliver the bad news. You may want to try not to be that student.

(*) in the case of violin: bow straight and perpendicular to the strings, also bowing all the way from tip to frog and back, clean starts and ends of notes (both forte and piano, fast and slow), bow hold, how to move wrist and elbow during string crossings.

Left hand: wrist angle, elbow position on different strings, intonation, intonation in quick passages, right (not too high) amount of tension. Getting intonation right is related to subtle details of the left-hand setup; step one is to be aware of structural intonation problems. (I sometimes think it's alright while I'm playing, yet still cringe when I listen to a recording of myself.)

I'm not a teacher; the above list is a summary of the major recurrent issues that I have had so far and that required patient and repeated teacher intervention. And I have personal experience with trying to teach myself the piano.

December 30, 2017, 6:50 AM · That piece is very ambitious if you have only been playing a few months. Those 32 notes would require me to work them up to speed. That said... Don't let the neysayers here stop you if you are happy with how it sounds. Remember that most of the people here look through a lens of perfection. Perfect intonation, perfect rhythm, perfect technique etc. That is the standard by which they say you are not ready. So take that for what it is worth.
December 30, 2017, 8:57 AM · I have a bunch of transcriptions of classical pieces that can all be played from first position and substituting crossings to an open string instead of using the 4th finger.

Here is one that I really enjoyed arranging and playing. It includes suggested bow movement, fingering and dynamics that are attainable by a beginner.

https://musescore.com/user/1910051/scores/4872513

December 30, 2017, 12:01 PM · The 32nd notes aren't too much of a problem, since this is a slow piece. The 3rd position is what concerns me most. Have you watched videos on how to play violin?
December 30, 2017, 2:52 PM · Btw, never mention the Pachelbel Canon within earshot of a cellist. It upsets them no end.
December 30, 2017, 3:26 PM · Here twosetviolin demonstrates the effect on a cellist: https://youtu.be/QLrtfHB1SKk

:-)

Edited: December 30, 2017, 5:15 PM · Ella Yu- yes I have tried to use as many online resources as possible. Additionally when I play the third position notes shifting hasn't been too much of a problem
Han N - Great video
Edited: December 30, 2017, 6:19 PM · Try the Corelli sonatas, Op. 5. I like Book 2, # 7-12. Accessible being deceptively simple, but the challenge endures as you try teaching yourself the position shifts and how to play nicely. And ignore the naysayers who say you can't teach yourself 3rd position and a few chords. All you need is a serious attention span and commitment.
December 30, 2017, 6:55 PM · You can definitely teach yourself shifting, but only when you get the basics down pat first.
December 31, 2017, 10:08 AM · Han, thanks for that link. I feel for that cellist - been there myself!
Edited: December 31, 2017, 10:18 AM · There are huge books of violin solo pieces at every level. I think I had one called 52 Masterpieces... tunes like The Blue Danube and The Volga Boatmen. Great selection and easy level. And what, 15 bucks? I mean if there are 5 tunes in there that you like, it's a bargain.

Definitely secure your first position intonation and skill before shifting. I know you said classical, but American Fiddle Method by Wicklund has good first position tunes that are fun and will improve your facility. Also consider studies such as Elementary Scales And Bowings. Work up to Wohlfahrt 60 studies and get the edition by RB Pine, it's the best.

December 31, 2017, 1:03 PM · Okay.
January 2, 2018, 10:24 AM · I know I stated that I wanted classical in OP but that was really just a recommendation with no real merit.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases