My bow don't catch D, A and E strings

December 28, 2017, 1:35 PM · I have my bow since 2 months, I use Andrea A Piacere rosin, and when I put rosin in my bow, it only stick in G string, but in D, A and E not, the strings sound, but I dont feel that stick and the sound sound is like when you don't push completely the string, like the harmonics. Do I need to clean bow hair and how I do it? I don't want to rehair the bow now because it cost more than 60€

Thanks

Replies (10)

December 28, 2017, 2:10 PM · did the bow work properly when you got it??
Edited: December 28, 2017, 4:02 PM · You can shampoo your bow hair with dilute dish soap such as Palmolive or Dawn. Keep water out of the "parts" and rinse thoroughly. Then apply a lot of rosin and play hard for a few minutes to work it in some. You can also use several isopropanol "prep pads" available in the pharmacy and inexpensive, but in my experience it takes several to get all the grime and old rosin off. Also use the prep pads to clean your strings. Always keep solvent off your varnish!!
December 28, 2017, 4:39 PM · Also clean off your strings after every time you play. Rosin will melt when heated by friction of the moving bow hair. This melted rosin accumulating on the strings (and bow hair) has different physical properties than freshly applied rosin. When you apply rosin to your bow and start to play rosin is immediately transferred to the strings and it is the friction between the rosin on the bow and the rosin on the strings that moves these strings to cause the sounds we love so.

I always clean my strings when putting my instruments away for session or the day and I almost always check the rosin on my bow(s) my touching them to my dark trousers (is that why all my trousers are dark? - could be or maybe another story!)

December 28, 2017, 4:39 PM · The bow works good, it cost me 300€, but I don't feel that now in D, A, E strings, it is a Dorfler bow
December 28, 2017, 4:44 PM · I clean always the strings, every 30 mins, and with ethyl alcohol 96 every week
December 28, 2017, 5:42 PM · Dorflers are good bows, my guess is that you need to apply more rosin. I don’t know how experienced a player your are, perhaps you also don’t apply enough weight on your bow!
December 28, 2017, 7:03 PM · This probably isn't it, but make sure your arm is in a lower position for D, A, and E than it is for G, so all your weight goes onto the strings.
December 29, 2017, 9:59 AM · Do NOT use alcohol on bow hair. You will make a mess of it.
Ask me how I know...
Edited: December 29, 2017, 10:28 AM · Scott, h0w do you know?

Cleaning bow hair with either diluted (70%) propanol or ethanol (as they come from the bottle) has worked very well for me - for years - and for many bows!

December 31, 2017, 6:22 AM · Maybe you need to adjust your Bridge.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Aria International Summer Academy