Stringing problems

Edited: December 27, 2017, 1:59 AM · Hello all,
I was restringing tonight and all was well until I got to the the E. It's a Hill E, heavy gauge. I got slightly distracted and as a result had to restring it a 2nd time. Happily tuning away, I went to use my fine tuner and it freely span and rattled... In a worried manner, I quickly looked and noticed the string had slid down beside the slot into which it's supposed to go, and worked it's way slightly to the front. Ugh! I manage to work it out, but there's now a wire sticking out from the silk wrapping. I don't know where it goes or came from, but I noticed a good bit of the silk had gone missing. And at the front of the string that twists around the peg, I noticed the silk was unwrapping and fraying badly, sliding off the end of the string, with quite a bit missing. (I took the string out of the pegbox when untangling from the fine tuner, so restringing a 3rd time caused this) The string seems to sound fine and tune fine, but I'm extremely obsessive about the neatness of my violin in all aspects. I keep telling myself it's fine, but is it? Or did I just waste both of our time?

Thank You! :)

Replies (3)

December 27, 2017, 2:07 AM · If it's only the silk that's damaged then it's only the silk that's damaged.

To my knowledge it's just a decorative wrapping (it also probably helps the string to grip the peg).

January 2, 2018, 4:08 PM · I had the same problem yesterday. The silk is mostly for decoration and identification, but it is much harder to get the string to stay on the peg's hole while you put it on. Once you have it tuned up the first time, it will cause you no problems.
January 2, 2018, 4:21 PM · I find if I take my time and restring carefully I do not have these problems. Since I have gear pegs I'm doomed to a somewhat slower restringing process anyway. I might take the better part of an hour to restring my violin, sometimes with the TV on, but always with good light and with the necessary tools handy - a sharpened soft pencil and a blunt probe or small screwdriver to help position the string inside the peg box. I like it to be just so, and I consider it kind of a zen thing.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Jameasy
Jameasy

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin