Feedback on the Bach Adagio

December 24, 2017, 10:40 AM · Happy Christmas!

If anyone's looking for distractions from their families and friends, could you listen to this recording of the Bach Gminor Adagio just made:

https://clyp.it/dj3inj2u?token=45538ac523c72eeeba248a4a10620058

Would be interested in your thoughts. Basically, mine are:
* At times I convey some sense of the long musical line, but don't pull this off consistently
* Rhythm and metre are usually pretty solid but there's a couple of points where I'm still a bit uncertain about them
* I am often not sustaining the long notes well particularly on the E-string, which messes up the chord voicing. (I think I'm handling the lower voices better? Basically I think I'm in too much of a rush to get to the next chord)
* Intonation is fairly solid (a couple of points where it's not 100% but only a few)
* There are 2 wrong notes in the last line. No biggie.

Let me know what you think! Are those observations correct?

Thanks, Chris

Replies (5)

December 24, 2017, 11:10 AM · Out of curiosity, do you have a teacher? If not, that's okay, as long as there's a valid life reason behind it. A few things to watch out for:
1. your bow arm and hand may be a bit tense
2. sometimes, your sound was a bit choked because of inconsistent bow speed
3. intonation was sloppy in some spots, as you mentioned
4. could be more expressive
5. could use some more vibrato
6. you could get a fuller sound, which would mean more weight on the strings and perhaps more bow speed, kind of ties in with #1
December 24, 2017, 11:53 AM · The first thing I would fix is your concept of intonation. There are actually many wrong notes throughout this recording, but it seems you're under the impression that there are only a couple. You need to listen with a more critical ear. Especially in the case of your chords, make sure to tune them carefully, sometimes after you've started the note if necessary. Don't let yourself sit on an incorrect note.
December 24, 2017, 4:11 PM · Everyone's meaning of terms like "a couple", "a few", "a lot", etc are different. There were a fair number of intonation errors in my opinion.
December 24, 2017, 7:45 PM · *rhythm's a bit off
*intonation is off
*take more time to play chords/double stops
*don't rush so much sometimes
*try to get a fuller sound
December 29, 2017, 2:09 PM · Thank all for the comments!

Ella - yes, I do have a teacher, but the way our schedules work out I won't have a lesson until sometime in February. Unsure whether I'll be taking this to my next lesson or not!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Aria International Summer Academy