"Classical Music Saved My Life"

December 22, 2017, 6:44 AM · I am researching the possibility of a new book with a working title of CLASSICAL MUSIC SAVED MY LIFE.

Can you point me to any such stories that you may know of? Or if applicable to you and you are inspired, write a few paragraphs of your own experience? And send to me at jsz60@comcast.net?

I am truly grateful. Twice over: Members here were an invaluable help to me in my writing of Obscure Composers, and I thought to come back again and access the group's impressive erudition and wide knowledge.

Thanks for taking time to read this. Best wishes of the season and 2018 to you.

John Sarkett
Author
Obscure Composers (three volumes)
Bach and Heaven: The Promise of Afterlife in the Text of the Cantatas
Death in classical music: making friends with the unfriendly
Violin Scale Charts™

Replies (5)

December 22, 2017, 11:58 AM · Maybe look into some of the personal stories from the "Landfill Harmonic?" Perhaps there are some stories of kids escaping drugs, crime, or other effects of poverty through participation in that group.
December 22, 2017, 12:22 PM · Also El Sistema
Edited: December 25, 2017, 12:03 PM · These are such great ideas. In the same vein you might check out ELM (Enriching Lives Through Music): http://www.elmprogram.org .

Also check out the book: Violins of Hope: Violins of the Holocaust--Instruments of Hope and Liberation in Mankind's Darkest Hour Paperback – August 12, 2014
by James Grymes (Author)

December 25, 2017, 4:53 AM · The film 'Orchestra of Exiles' shows some of those who were saved from the Holocaust by their profession as performers, with the help of a great violinist whom few if any modern players can rival; as, from a pianist's point of view, does the film 'The Pianist.
December 26, 2017, 6:06 AM · John, Andrew, Mary Ellen, Todd, superb pointers all, thank you, happy new year 2018. JS

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Jameasy
Jameasy

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin