Index finger problem

Edited: December 22, 2017, 12:47 AM · Hi y'all. Hope you are enjoying the Christmas season.
I'm re-working with my basic techniques, now it's left hand position. I used to be a non-contact player regarding the left hand, but started to feel pain on the neck and jaw, I decided to challenge a two-contact player.

Everything went crazy, of course, but fortunately I'm getting used to the change, except for one thing, problem with the index finger. When playing B-A-G-F#, for example, downwards on the E string, the left hand squeezes(or the thumb contracts) to place the index on the right place, whereas I can play F#-G-A-B comfortably. It appears same on the A, but not on D and G, nor on high positions.

A makeshift solution was to put the index and the middle at the same time to avoid that squeeze and extra tension, but I know that it won't work when I play a fast passage. Do you have any tips for that? Is practice the only way to solve it?

Replies (7)

December 22, 2017, 2:24 AM · I'm fairly confident that your contact point - where the base of your index touches the neck - is too close to the base knuckle. Keep everything else the same, but move the contact point closer to the 2nd joint of the index finger.
December 22, 2017, 2:26 AM · Could also be that you have very poor joint mobility or stiffness in your index joints. Hard to say online without seeing your hand formation.
December 22, 2017, 3:55 AM · Cat, try placing B - A - G - F (not F#) in that order on the E-string, starting from a nice rounded pinky on the B and placing the rest nicely downwards. You will have to leave an opening between the first and second fingers to allow the index finger to land low enough. It is OK to ease in the wrist a little bit so that everything remains relaxed. Now with all fingers on the string try to lift one of them up and down while keeping the rest lightly on the string and without changing in any way your hand position or fingers, the lifting up and down should come purely from the base joint. Try this with each finger. Let us know if you are comfortable doing this!
December 22, 2017, 6:58 AM · Erik, you're right. The base is almost at the knuckle, but I feel more comfortable with my higher finger position.

Jean, I can do it with complete ease.

I think my left hand is too fixed to my old formation. But I've just found that if I make the hand egg-shaped, as if I was holding an egg, it becomes easier. Maybe I don't know where to put some power (or not) with my new formation. Lessons required!

December 22, 2017, 9:02 AM · sounds good Cat, good luck and pay attention to keeping that opening between first and second finger!
December 22, 2017, 11:49 AM · I've found that problems like this are often a result of just needing to build a new kind of flexibility. You made a change in your left hand posture that now requires flexibility in a specific place where your old technique didn't. You may feel that squeezing feeling reducing over time and no longer be an issue. It will just require a little attention and patience.
December 22, 2017, 4:03 PM · Jean & Todd, thank you for your reply. I'll keep working on it.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases