Salzman rosins- anyone used 1, 2 , or 3

December 21, 2017, 7:34 PM · I just got a cake of 5 for cello and am falling deeply in like. Trying the bass 10 next. Anyone used 1,2,3 on violin or viola? I'm using Kaplan Amo strings now with Jade or Millant dark depending on the weather.

Replies (2)

Edited: December 22, 2017, 1:21 PM · I thought I recognized those Salzman cylindrical, leather, zipper pouches. I have Violin/viola 3 and Cello 5. I had to dig through my rosin drawers but I found them both and tried them again on 3 bows and 3 (types of) instruments. I have not tried Salzman 1 or 2.

I find both of these rosins produce sound with more edge for me than I like from my instruments. Might help it project over an orchestra, but might keep me from practicing.

I'm sure I would prefer Millant because it never gave me that edge when I did use it. Personally I've been using Leatherman for the past year Before that I used Magic Rosins, all the Andrea/Tartini, Liebenzellers (almost the entire mineral mine) - and that takes us back 15 or more years to my Millant-Deroux years that followed Hill, that followed AB and Thomastik. There were lots of others in the meantime that got bought, tried and drawered-including my 2 Salzman cakes!

Now to clean off those bows-and strings!

December 22, 2017, 4:59 PM · Thanks AV!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins