Can Vivaldi's four seasons be performed unaccompanied?

December 20, 2017, 1:59 PM · Hey there,

I'm about to finish Mozart violin concerto n°3 and I thought I would do a concerto or two from the Vivaldi four seasons.

I may have to perform it in public, but I'm worried how it will sound without accompaniment.

Thank you,

Ahmed

Replies (10)

Edited: December 22, 2017, 4:55 AM · Deleted -- see explanation below.
December 20, 2017, 7:09 AM · Never Paul. Do not attempt to adjust your bridge. We control the sound post. We can pull the gut to sharp. We can push the gut to flat. We have frozen you in time. Welcome to--- the Violin Zone ---
December 20, 2017, 2:22 PM · Hey! Be nice. New poster, legit question.

Mozart --> Vivaldi isn't a crazy leap. Not sure I'd want to play it solo, though. The beauty of the seasons lies in their complexity and layering. Take the opening of "Spring"–the solo violin part alone doesn't amount to much without the other violin parts.

Ahmed, if you really want to play this and can't find a pianist (which probably also wouldn't be that satisfactory) I'm pretty sure that for something this popular there are accompaniment CDs/tracks (think Karaoke for violin!) that you might be able to buy.

There are also solo pieces for someone around your level that don't require accompaniment. People keep mentioning the Telemann Solo Fantasias (disclosure: I've never played them but they are supposed to be easier than solo Bach).

Edited: December 20, 2017, 3:13 PM · Hahahaha, that was a legit question, I agree. Hi, I'm 4 years old but started quite late, in my late 1's or something. I'm self taught, currently working on Czardas. How long will it take to play Paganini's 25 Caprice in M# major?
Oh yeah... what strings should I use?
Should I go restless or sleeping is a nice habit?
December 20, 2017, 3:26 PM · Guys come on, this wasn't even what OP was asking! Even if you consider it common knowledge, we all had to learn this at some stage.

No, it should not be performed without accompaniment unless the audience know nothing about music. It would sound weird & incomplete, because the piece was written to include piano (harpsichord).

December 20, 2017, 3:29 PM · Vivaldi Four Seasons would not sound good unaccompanied--too much would be missing.
Edited: December 20, 2017, 3:48 PM · Take winter for example—the first movement would sound completely hollow without the supporting continuo at the bottom. You could try to merge the first violin part into your performance to fill the gap, and (depending on the occasion) decide if you like it, but make sure to record yourself first to get a feel of how it will sound to people who don’t know the music (and just assume they wouldn’t know.)
December 21, 2017, 9:54 AM · Vivaldi wrote a large number of violin concertos, some comparatively straightforward (but still not easy!) like the well-known A minor (Op 3 No 6), others at a more virtuoso level (the "Grosso Mogul", for example). I think other solo violin concertos in Opus 3 worth looking at are nos. 3, 9 and 12, and, like No 6, they can all be played unaccompanied - they aren't descriptive compositions like the Four Seasons.
Edited: December 22, 2017, 4:55 AM · I want to say that when I responded to this thread at the top, it was a DIFFERENT THREAD ... it was a spam thread with an obnoxious question, which I reported to Laurie, and she deleted. At least, I thought she had, although she did not reply to my email. (I had emailed her the previous day about another obnoxious one, so she probably figured that taking care of it would satisfy me, which at the time it did).

The thread now seems perfectly legitimate, but it wasn't before. I went back to my email and confirmed that the thread I reported was the same thread number as this one (930). So I apologize for what must seem to everyone a very offensive response.

I agree with Mary Ellen that it would not do well unaccompanied, for example Summer first movement right at the top of page 3 where you've got those bird trills.

EDIT -- Laurie acknowledged that the situation that I described above has exposed a bug in the programming of the site.

Edited: December 22, 2017, 8:40 AM · I noticed that spam thread when it had zero responses. As soon as I read it I clicked on the "Report as Spam" button, and when I next went online I saw that it had disappeared.

[EDIT. Since posting this I've seen two new “discussions” (pages 936, 938) from the same source advertising health supplements. I have reported them as spam.

I wonder if we could revert to the older system of delaying by a couple of hours or so the appearance on screen of a new discussion, thus giving an editor the opportunity of taking any necessary action.]

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Aria International Summer Academy