Never say you can't learn to play a new instrument!

December 17, 2017, 9:51 AM ·
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFYxRp9K9L4

Replies (15)

December 17, 2017, 10:31 AM · Can't beat a grain fed pianist.
December 17, 2017, 11:24 AM · "I've been studying piano for two years and I can peck out a tune. Should I become a professional pianist? Or will I only end up with egg on my face?"
December 17, 2017, 1:46 PM · Paul you will probably avoid that by not playing with your feet over your head.
Edited: December 17, 2017, 8:56 PM · "Learn to play a instrument"? what does it mean? Learn to play " twinkle twinkle"? Sure! "The Last Rose"? No way!

The type of feel good motivational blah blah blah so treasured by adult beginners is misleading because it ignores that basic fact that it takes years of dedicated practice, if one is lucky enough to start with a **good** teacher, to get to a decent amateur level.

December 17, 2017, 10:01 PM · all this pessimism is irritating...
December 18, 2017, 12:19 AM · You can get to be pretty good even as an adult as long as you have a good teacher and are dedicated. The level of perfection required for the tiny number of orchestral jobs? No way, unless you are a one in a million genius. But you don’t need to play perfectly to play beautiful music, perfection is only a recent standard of performance. Play beautifully and people will enjoy you playing. And I think most people, if they do what I suggested above, can meet this standard.

So, listen to you teacher and practice. The rest will come in 4-10 years depending on your goals;)

December 18, 2017, 5:32 AM · Jim, just post a video of your Bruch or Mendelssohn and we'll all be converted, surely.
December 18, 2017, 6:48 AM · OK
December 18, 2017, 2:51 PM · Pick those who didn't watch the EweChube video...

Funny.

Neil

December 18, 2017, 3:38 PM · Jim, pessimism is a hallmark of semi-accomplished or fully accomplished violinists. They've gone through the long and arduous process to get decent on the violin, and so they've seen the steep road that it takes to get anywhere on the thing. Pessimism is a natural result of this, and it's amplified by seeing beginners who are just starting to walk up the very shallow incline at the beginning of the path, and have yet to even imagine how difficult it's going to become.

With that said, non-professional achievement on the violin is all a matter of personal taste, so I think that if a student is satisfied each week, or at least each month, then they can be considered "successful" violin students.

I think it would do well for some to realize that it's not always about being able to play with the big boys, or even with the minor leagues. Sometimes it's just about being happy walking the path and noticing each milestone on the way.

December 18, 2017, 7:03 PM · Word.
December 19, 2017, 6:46 PM · Yeah but that chicken left it too late to become a soloist. Also, to have such a career you really need to put all your eggs in one basket!!
December 19, 2017, 8:30 PM · @Eric Williams "Jim, pessimism is a hallmark of semi-accomplished or fully accomplished violinists."

While I agree with most of their points, the kind of "pessimism" we are talking about is more common in low-level players. Low-level meaning your average orchestra violinist.

See Markov for example, by far more accomplished that all frequent members of this forum I'd say

Edited: December 19, 2017, 10:39 PM · “the kind of "pessimism" we are talking about is more common in low-level players. Low-level meaning your average orchestra violinist.”

Hmm...one is less pessimistic if she has won the Paganini competition...why didn't I think of that?

If one has to win the Paganini competition and get a career grant to escape the label of "low-evel ", then the "pessimism" we are talking about is highly relevant to v.com members since most of us will never hope to win the Paganini.

December 19, 2017, 11:15 PM · To win any place in PremioPaganini, for all people even talented, it will take about 15 to 20 years to practice violin performance intensively. Among prize winners I’ve known or met, the average time required to get a prize is 15 to 20 years later after their first violin course.

In the past, PremioPaganini was annual, later it altered to biennial now I’m not clear, maybe triennial or other etc, which makes this competition more difficult.

And in PremioPaganini, there is age limitation, candidate should be above 15 but less than 31 at the day of competition, to tell the truth it is reasonable, how can people imagine a violinist over 40 years old to compete with youngsters of only 15 or 16 years old?

Among prize winners, as far as I can recall, after 15 to 20 years’ practice is normal, within 10 to 15 years ‘ practice and get a prize can be considered as miracle, however, in the world there are many people after 15 or 20 years’ deliberate practice still cannot win any prize. But I do think that for violinist, it is better to win prize at a younger age, because there is greater chance for youngster for example being signed by famous label. As far as I remember, some of candidates are listed below:
Vladimir Spivakov, started at 6 and won 2nd prize at 22.
Gidon Kremer, started at 4 and won 1st prize at 22.
Ilyar Kaler, started at 5 and won 1st prize at 18.
Akiko Suwanai, started at 5 and won 2nd prize at 18.
Sakaya Shoji, started at 5 and won 1st prize at 16.
Vincenzo Bolognese, started at 7 and won 4th prize at 20.
Massimo Quarta, started at 11 and won 1st prize at 26.
Giovanni Angeleri, started at 5 and won 1st prize at 25.
Leonidas Kavakos, started at 5 and won 1st prize at 21.
Stefan Milenkovich, started at 3 and won 2nd prize at 16.
Siqing Lv, started at 4 and won 1st prize at 18.
Mengla Huang, started at 4 and won 1st prize at 22.
Feng Ning, started at 4 and won 1st prize at 25.
Bin Huang, started at 4 and won 1st prize at 23.
In Mo Yang, started at 5 and won 1st prize at 19.
Florin Croitoru, started at 6 and won 2nd prize at 22.
Mariusz Patrya, started at 6 and won 1st prize at 24.
Ilya Gringolts, won 1st prize at 16.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Jameasy
Jameasy

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin