Online theory coures?

Edited: December 15, 2017, 1:04 PM · I need to upgrade my theory. Of course nothing beats in-person courses or private tutoring, but it's pricy. Some online courses seem to be quite systematic and substantial with little or no cost, such as the "Fundamentals of Music Theory" by University of Edinburgh. There are reviews of online courses such as this one.

Have you taken any theory course online? If so, what is your experience?

Replies (6)

Edited: December 14, 2017, 6:54 PM · I am in Australia and there are both online tuition and exams available with AMEB.
December 15, 2017, 1:03 PM · Sonia, have you tried any of them? What is your view of these resources?

As an adult returner and under guidance of a teacher, I've got enough theory to get me going as a violinist. But in order to meet audition requirements in order to get into a postsecondary program in Music Performance, I'm looking for some formal training. I'm exploring online sources right now before taking a regular course or private lessons. Looks like not a lot of violinists here have to face this matter.

December 15, 2017, 1:28 PM · FWIW I don't think you need to brush up on your theory to gain admittance to a graduate program in performance. It's all about the audition. Once matriculated, you'll probably be given competency exams (theory, ear training, music history) at the beginning of your course of study, and any deficiencies will need to be made up by taking classes that won't count towards your degree.

Institutions are always happy to take your money for extra classes. :-)

(Of course if you already know that a particular institution does in fact require a passing knowledge of theory for admittance into a performance program, then my comments are irrelevant)

December 15, 2017, 1:45 PM · I am currently taking an online Music Theory class with Dr. Jason Allen at Udemy. He teaches at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, MN. His Udemy class covers a complete College-Level Music Theory Curriculum. I think there are 7 parts total, I'm in part 2. The first three parts cost me 10 dollars and he offers a certificate of completion.

I've never taken a music class before so not sure how this will all work out. Since he is a real teacher working at a real University- I'm hoping for the best.

Udemy Music Theory

December 15, 2017, 3:45 PM · Yixi,
I had to do my theory so I could advance in the practical exam grades. I did grade 1 online. I took both the tuition and the theory exam modules (they can be done separately). I then did grade 2 with tuition from a music camp I went to, I sat the online exam and passed easily. The music camp used Gordon Spearritts Essential Music Theory book. I needed grade 2 theory to do grade 6 practical AMEB. I am now going to follow his next book to do grade 3 and again I will sit the exam online.

The actual online tuition in only available for grades 1 and 2 currently.

There is also a free online site here http://www.daveconservatoire.org/about I’m not sure what level you need.

Let us know what you decide.
Sonia

December 15, 2017, 7:09 PM · Mary Ellen, the program I'm considering enroll is an undergraduate diploma performance program. Its entrance assessments include aural and written theory in addition to performance audition. Yes, there'll be a lot of theory and history courses once admitted into the program. I guess they need to make sure incoming students are prepared for these courses.

Jim, the Udemy course looks very promising. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Sonia, this is helpful information. Thank you! I'll keep you posted.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Jameasy
Jameasy

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin