Viola string help?

December 11, 2017, 8:57 PM · I am a senior in high school and have a 16 inch Otto Benjamin viola. I am looking for new A and D viola strings - I would do C and G as well, but those are still relatively new strings and we are only trying to spend $60-70 this Christmas rather than $120+ haha.

On my A and D I have Obligato strings. I’ve had them for about 9 months and I think it is time to retire them soon. On my G and C, I have Kaplan Forzas... I used to use the Obligatos there as well but the Forzas sound a little darker on those strings in my opinion (but not on the A and D). The Forzas are 6 months old.

The issue with my viola is that it’s too small to get a really dark, rich, sound that a lot of larger violas have. I have always struggled with fourth finger as it is, so moving up a size is definitely out of the question until I grow again. My viola is not super tinny or anything, but it is just a bit too bright for my taste. I love the overtones from my Obligato A and D, but it seems that when I got a new chinrest a few weeks back it made my viola even brighter sounding, so I am looking to get some darker A and D strings to hopefully enhance the sound as much as possible.

Do you guys have any ideas? I know I can’t be certain unless I try them myself, but I want to know where to start. Once my Forzas wear out, i will probably be looking for a darker, G and C as well, as the chinrest has really made the sound a lot brighter.

Replies (12)

December 12, 2017, 12:51 AM · I heartily recommend the Kaplan AMO set.

Edited: December 12, 2017, 12:57 AM · The first set I would try is Warchal Karneol, which sounds lovely on many violas. It will tame an overly bright instrument and add some texture and color. Only $42 for a set!

https://www.concordmusic.com/products/warchal-karneol-viola-set-synthetic-a

December 12, 2017, 2:55 AM · If you find that the viola is too bright, go with OBLIGATOS.
December 12, 2017, 5:14 AM · Your new chin rest didn't change the sound of your viola. It changed the position of your ear relative to your f-holes.
Edited: December 12, 2017, 6:26 AM · Buy the warchal karneol on eBay should get them even cheaper . I have used their long scale strings on 18"viola they are not bad for a cheaper set . I personally like zyex strings really good and reasonable price . I think it is more likely that the set up of your viola is preventing it from making the sound that you require . Have you got an old fashioned practice mute . I have quite a few in deferent weights and materials . If you put different mutes onto the bridge and listen carefully to the effects they give other than volume. This can be a good clue as to whether you need a different bridge . Move them about about as well i.e. treble side base side . If you want to be really adventurous try attaching a small weight like very small coin to the back of the bridge with blue tack . If you come up with the sound you want take your viola to an experienced set up person and tell them this the sound that you require . People often give up on an instrument that has an arbitrary set up with out really exploring the possibilities.
December 12, 2017, 6:41 AM · Have any of you tried the Larsen A? My A string gives the “whiniest” sound of all my strings with the exception of 3rd finger D. The A and C# sound very tinny compared to the rest my viola, but I’m sure thats just how my viola is set up (A on the D string is also pretty horrible).

I’m considering a Larsen A and a Kaplan AMO D-do you think this would be a good combo with the Forza G and C? I’ve had a lot of bad luck with A strings (I’ve had Prelude, Zyex, Helicore, Forza and Obligato and Obligato is definitely the only decent sounding one on my viola) so I’m hesitant to try the AMO As. I wish there was some type of trial allowed for strings. There’s so many factors and so many to choose from haha.

Are there particular bridges that make a specific instrument darker, or is it just how they respond with the instrument? That’s probably a dumb question. The only shop within 30 minutes from here is Music and Arts (my instrument is from there) but I have heard bad things about their instrument repairs. There is one about 45 min. from here where I got my bow rehaired and a new chinrest this past weekend.

Edited: December 12, 2017, 7:35 AM · Setting up a violin or viola is a very skilled job requiring special training and experience . If your viola sounds good on all strings except the A my personal opinion is that it is quite likely that you need a heavier bridge . This will probably make your A less winey and will bring more resonance in the bass. From what you say it's possible that this kind of tweaking is too sophisticated for your local shop . Have you tried googling to see if you've got a luthier working near by
December 12, 2017, 7:41 AM · I'm interested that many of you describe the sound that you want from a viola as dark . I always think of it as round . Has anyone else got a good adjective ?
Edited: December 27, 2017, 6:22 AM · Thomas - check out this paper, if you can find it: Catgut Acoustical Society Journal Vol. 3, No. 4 (Series II), Pg. 52, November 1997 -"Tuning the A0 Mode Without Changing the Body or f-hold Size" by J.L. Miles .***

The gist is that if you can make the "throat" of the ff-holes thicker (or "longer") it will increase the resistance to airflow in and out of the ft-holes and shift the A0 mode of a viola to get a darker tone on the low notes. (It does not work on violins or cellos.) You can achieve this effect with a 3/8-inch magic tape lining both sides of the ff-holes (protruding INTO the viola body so it is not very visible). You only have to do this along the long curve of the ft-holes not around the little circles at the ends.

I've done this with the better of my 2 violas for the past 20 years -only changed the tape once in those years (and probably did not need to).

*** I have a PDF of this paper and can email it to you if you can find my e-mail address. But if you understand what I have written above you will find the paper only of interest, not of practical use.

December 12, 2017, 10:36 AM · Andrew how interesting . Thank you I will look up the paper .
Edited: December 12, 2017, 3:32 PM · If you want a less tinny sound, try synthetic A strings (e.g Tonica). In your particular case, a new instrument may be in order. Violas really vary, so try a variety of affordable violas of various sizes and pick your fave for both playing comfort and sound.
December 27, 2017, 2:30 AM · Pirastro's Aricore-Eudoxa A (polyester core with aluminium winding) has a sweet, singing tone on my violas, right up the fingerboard.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Aria International Summer Academy