Yamaha YEV Shoulder Rest Hell

Edited: December 8, 2017, 4:10 PM · I've tried several shoulder rests on the Yamaha YEV and they all slip off very easily (some in under a minute of playing). I tried a small sponge shoulder rest on it and it didn't come off, but felt horrible. I do not have this problem with my regular violin.

Does anyone have any creative ideas??? I literally can't play it. I've been brainstorming for weeks.

Replies (5)

Edited: December 8, 2017, 6:06 PM · I play my acoustic violin without a shoulder rest, and I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to do that with a YEV. But when I got one I found that I could play it very well restless.

A few suggestions. I think that YEV's are really beautifully made, especially considering the price. But my one criticism is that the chinrest that comes with them is pathetic, and I quickly changed mine to an over-the-tailpiece Wittner "Augsburg," which is extremely adjustable, lightweight, and suits the YEV beautifully. I'd recommend them for any violin. That allows you to move the violin to your left, so your chin is centered over the tailpiece. And while I personally don't need it, if I did I would consider making up a pad that would rest on the underside of the violin's central structural beam, between and tucked in under the Walnut frame sides. That could conceivably give you a very simple shoulder support.

I believe in centered over the tailpiece chinrests. They solve a multitude of problems, and if you've never tried one I can only urge you to do it. I'm always amazed by how many players use a chinrest with the cup on the left side of the tailpiece, but put their chin in the center on the tailpiece anyway. (?)

December 12, 2017, 7:56 PM · The feet on my Mach One did not work well with my YEV-104. Being relatively new to violin, I had been wanting to try a Kun for comparison purposes anway and bought the Kun Bravo collapsible. The feet on the Kun work perfectly for me on the YEV. I also tried the Kun feet on the Mach One, and that worked as well. You might be able save money by buying the Kun feet replacement parts and putting them in your current shoulder rest.

Hope this helps!
Josh

December 12, 2017, 8:08 PM · Chinrests that are centered over the tailpiece are great for the people who find them comfortable, and torture for those of us who don't. Personally I can't stand to play on one but whenever I notice a student consistently playing with their chin on the tailpiece despite a more conventional chinrest, I suggest to the student that they try a center-mount chinrest.
December 14, 2017, 9:59 PM · The bottom of the YEV is flat, unlike a traditional violin, which has a bit of a bump. Playing a YEV restless, I found that I missed having that bump as it helped keep it in place, so I stuck on a small felt strip, which does the job. I guessed that the thinness of the plate might not work for some shoulder rests, so might suggest adding something to increase the thickness, like a bit of felt.

But when I tried a couple of shoulder rests on my YEV, I didn't have a problem -- they seemed to attach and stay on as well as they would on a traditional. I tried a Kun, a Bon Musica, and a Wolf. The Kun doesn't stay on traditional violins well, but it didn't seem worse on the YEV. I also use a center-mounted Augsburg; I'm not sure if that's related.

It doesn't seem to be a general problem with the YEV to me, and I wouldn't expect it to be one, as shoulder rests are commonly used and the YEV was designed to be usable with standard components. I suggest taking it to a store, trying other shoulder rests and perhaps comparing it with other violins (even other YEVs) to try to better understand what's going on.

December 15, 2017, 1:50 AM · I have four YEV's at my school, and the Everest shoulder rests work with them just fine.

I did change one of them to a center mount Wittner chinrest.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases