Magic Music violins

December 7, 2017, 2:35 PM · Has anyone ordered from Magic Music at AliExpress.com? These instruments seem similar to those found at Yitamusic, Old Violin House, et al.

Just curious. Thanks!

Replies (13)

December 7, 2017, 5:26 PM · Hmm, I've found one violin on aliexpress and its this one
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TONGLING-New-Natural-Flamed-Maple-Violin-Full-Size-Hand-craft-Violin-Stringed-Musical-Instrument-Ebony-
Fitted/32821248768.html?spm=2114.search0104.6.1.pxtNIt&s=p
if this is the violin you're looking at, whatever you do don't buy.
I have a feeling you're new to the violin world, if so welcome to the amazing world of violins, but the No.1 rule when it comes to buying a violin is to never buy one online. If you can, please go to a local music store or specialty violin shop to buy a violin, as those typically are actually worth buying. If you're uncertain as to whether or not you want to play the violin, you can always rent the violin, and most music stores put a certain amount of your rental money towards buying a new violin.
Hope this helps ??
December 7, 2017, 6:03 PM · Thanks for the advice. Here's a link to their page: https://aliexpress.com/store/2414040?trace=store2mobilestoreNew#/
December 8, 2017, 7:41 AM · The violins there do look good but I would still highly advise not buying from them as you don’t know what you’ll be getting. Like I said it would be best if you just went to a music store or luthier for a violin as those can be tried out.
December 8, 2017, 11:32 AM · I'll second what Justin said. What people new to the violin world often don't understand is setup. The violin you get may come with poor setup that will take a lot of money at a violin shop to improve. Often, to make the instrument work well, you need a new bridge, nut, strings, and possibly more. Its better to go to a reputable violin shop that will have instruments set up properly from the start. That said, I have had plenty of students who bought online and it worked out fairly well. Just know that its a bit of a risk.
Edited: December 9, 2017, 4:00 PM · I know they say things like "50 years old!" or "18 years old!" but from what I hear from my luthier it's always misleading since they can well mean only the wood itself has been aged that old, and you don't really know whether the wood has been aged properly or even for that long. The shown range of $200-$400 is an entry level instrument so you are probably better off to sticking with verified brands like Cremona if you are unsure if you will continue because that will certainly be cheaper than some rentals, or if you are absolutely sure you are going to continue, you can always rent because most shops will let you pay for an upgrade with the rent you have been paying thus far.

Aliexpress is the retail company of Alibaba, and I wouldn't expect much from them at all. They receive shipments directly from factories located in countries where the cost of labour and material is low, so you are essentially paying little only because it's only worth that much, if at all. You can probably expect the instruments sold on the website to produce a sound, but I think it's too much to expect a good sound. As much as buying instruments online is discouraged, I would strongly recommend against purchasing from this particular one.
(EDIT: upon examination, my suspicions were confirmed as all of these are Chinese brands. They claim these violins are "professional" level but they also send you a brazilwood bow to match the violin. Whatever you do, do not purchase from this seller.)

If you do decide to purchase one online, see if they can send you a couple so you can try it out before deciding.

Do you have an instructor? How long have you been playing? If you have an instructor he/she can certainly help you with buying an instrument. I'm actually not sure how well a U.S. public school teacher will be able to assist you but some teachers' main instruments (like my high school teacher) are violins so you might get lucky.

December 9, 2017, 8:18 PM · Magic Music is someplace I've bought from before. Be careful, after all, even though I know many Chinese people in America that use their violins, I have a couple things to say:

1. Their pictures are taken of the best specimens of the groups of instruments they take. So when you actually receive the product, it won't look like the image.

2. Continuing on, sometimes the finish is what is shown on the image, sometimes, it isn't

3. As everybody else has said above, it's a more industrialized violin. It has much more risks although I would have to disagree with all the criticism everybody else puts in. I've happened to help people buy stuff online (Pls no kill me luthiers) and I've seen some problems. You could actually get a fine sounding violin, or a bad sounding one, either way though, it's a risk.

All in all however, I would say if you actually bought the violin from online, you'd have to take it to a luthier if it starts to have issues. Then it becomes not worth it and you would rather visit a local luthier.

December 9, 2017, 8:21 PM · @Cassio Chae I highly agree that the violins sold by any retailer in China that claim that it's professional is very doubtable. But if Joseph is just looking for a student violin, I would kind of say 'go ahead.' After all, the local luthier that I went to told me that they bought violins from China several times, picked out the good ones and immediately used as rental ones, and then fixed the bad ones. It's really cheap and I suppose it was less time consuming for them to just make the majority of it themselves.
Edited: December 9, 2017, 8:45 PM · @Violin Kiddu

That's true, but I would still prefer general retailers like Music & Arts that have the verified brands. The best would be visiting an actual violin shop for a professional assistance, but I understand that's not always an option. I know Sharmusic has a few student-range violins so if you can get something online, why not prefer the non-Chinese brand at the similar price range? I think Shar does trade-ins, too, iirc, although I would encourage anyone to check with Shar because I have a history of bad recollections. I would half-baselessly assume non-Chinese instruments at the price range would be more durable and finished better, too.

EDIT: But then again, a lot of so-called "VSO"s are made in China anyway.

December 9, 2017, 11:09 PM · I understand any instrument coming from an online seller would need to be set up in some way. I also recognize the risk associated with purchasing sight unseen.

@Cassio Chae - I like Shar just fine, but saying their non-Chinese seems untrue. Some of their Franz Hoffmann instruments, from what I've seen, are made in China. So are similar instruments from Yamaha. So are others that are considered better than a "Chinese violin".

I understand it's better to go to a shop. I was more wondering if anyone had any knowledge with this store, considering others have been happy with instruments coming out of similar shops (OVH and Yitamusic).

December 10, 2017, 8:16 AM · @Everyone Yes, Franx Hoffmann and Cermona are all Chinese made violins
December 10, 2017, 3:31 PM · Are you new to the violin or somewhat experienced?
December 10, 2017, 7:18 PM · @Ella - I've got some experience. I was legit curious on their shop, but I'll probably look elsewhere. I'm looking to upgrade my (low) student-grade instrument, but I will not have the funds to get something above $500, even though I'd love to.
December 10, 2017, 8:54 PM · In your case, try a variety of affordable violins and pick your fave, although it seems to be stated above.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music