Seasonal violin-related presents you'd like to give or receive?

December 6, 2017, 1:44 PM · A fairly open-ended question, so I'll start off with a present to myself - converting my old violin back to its Baroque setup. I received it back from the luthier a few days ago, and a magnificent job was done.

On the giving side I'm helping my daughter with the sheet music of a couple of student concertos she wants to work on.

Replies (7)

December 6, 2017, 2:25 PM · Get: Miraculous healing of the various aches in my left shoulder wrist and hand that keep me at 4th position and below; Punctual students; perfect pitch;...

Give: Lessons to more young aspiring musicians who's families cannot afford lessons; the joy of playing music for a lifetime.

December 6, 2017, 2:36 PM · I have given "violin rosin in fancy wooden containers" (just google that) as gifts. You can see examples at: https://www.bertboonviolins.com/en/416-rosin-in-luxury-wooden-boxes , but the US prices are cheaper.
December 6, 2017, 11:47 PM · Give/get:
Urtext editions of chamber music, Mozart concerti, and other pieces that I bought years ago on the cheap.
Symphony/opera/chamber music tickets, especially for some ensemble or soloist who is awesome but rare (e.g. Hagen Quartet, Martha Argerich, etc.)
A donation to one of the great El Sistema-inspired programs. (I like Bravo Orchestras in Portland, OR)

Give:
A decent, transportable music stand. (we have two that we love)
(this is silly) realistic-looking miniature instrument Christmas ornaments
The Simon Fischer books
Music-themed cufflinks or t-shirts (to my husband, who wears those sorts of things. Not ties, though!)

December 7, 2017, 1:17 AM · Give:
- Donation to v.com
- string set or a bunch of different E strings
- Violin book(s)
- Strad subscription
- Nice stand lights and Faber Castell eraser caps
December 7, 2017, 1:22 AM · I like Yixi's idea of donating to V.com. I've spent many hours here and gleaned and shared enough knowledge that I wouldn't mind tossing a little bit into the hat.

I always make sure to tell people who ask exactly what strings I want to try next, and any pieces of music I want to acquire an urtext of.

I also always love getting more of my favorite pentalic pencils, since once in awhile they get knocked off a stand and they shatter/break.

I like to give things people forget to get for themselves or may not have. A tube of peg dope, tuning forks, a new rosin to try, a new microfiber cloth, replacement strings if I know theirs are worn, soundpost gift certificates, and the like.

This year for my employers united way donation drive I set my donation of nearly $600 almost entirely to the local youth orchestra, so I count that as an all year gift!

December 7, 2017, 10:23 AM · Great idea, Yixi.

After I posted I wandered over to the SF Symphony website and ended up buying tickets to three concerts...including a Perlman/Argerich recital!

So...that's what my husband and I are buying each other for Christmas, I guess.

December 7, 2017, 10:38 AM · A new cleaning cloth (mine is now 3 years old, and it's getting rather dirty) or a variety pack of shoulder rests so that I could finally find one that works for me.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music