How to keep orchestral mute from buzzing when playing without it?

Edited: December 6, 2017, 5:09 AM · Hey there,

This is my first time posting here, although I've been 'lurking' for a while.

So, I play in Tunisian Symphonic Orchestra, and I always keep my orchestral mute (tourte) on, resting on the La and Ré strings (like everyone does). Yet when I play a forte or louder the mute starts jumping back and forth, being visually and audibly annoying. Does anyone have a solution for that?

Thank you!
Ahmed

Replies (11)

December 6, 2017, 5:39 AM · Take it off? Not trying to be funny, but I only have my mute on when I'm using it, otherwise it's in my case.
December 6, 2017, 6:09 AM · Buy a different mute. The Alpine mute (a clone of the old Menuhin Shield) works well.

December 6, 2017, 6:15 AM · I've got this mute with a magnet attached to the tailpiece. So during sensa sord, it sticks to the tailpiece without buzzing.

Bech Magnetic Mute

December 6, 2017, 6:35 AM · hi Ahmed, I try to place it firmly between the strings, next to the tailpiece, but I must admit it still comes loose occasionally. but I can live with it.
December 6, 2017, 6:44 AM · Thank you all, I'll have to try what Jean suggested since there aren't a lot of violin accessories here in Tunisia. Or maybe I could install a magnet in mine ;).

Ahmed

December 6, 2017, 9:23 AM · The magnet idea would only work with a metal (steel) tailpiece, wouldn't it?

Again, if the violin is held with the scroll pointing slightly downwards the mute will tend to migrate towards the bridge, and this will be enhanced by ff playing.

December 6, 2017, 9:59 AM · I second the magnetic mute. Trevor, there's a piece that clips onto the tailpiece that has a magnet. The mute attaches to that magnetically. No buzzing here.
December 6, 2017, 12:10 PM · I bought an Alpine mute on Lydia's recommendation, and I have to say it's pretty great. I liked it so much I got both kinds, and they do sound quite different, but both pleasant.
December 6, 2017, 1:24 PM · Katie, thanks, yes I'm sure it would work, but I'm personally loathe to adding weight to the tailpiece, which those magnets would do.
December 6, 2017, 10:39 PM · I have a Bech magnetic mute (I got it when I lost my Menuhin Shield), which is basically like a two-hole Tourte with a magnet, requiring a piece to be installed on the tailpiece (preferably done by a luthier). I didn't like it, and went back to the Shield when I found where I'd stashed it.
December 7, 2017, 10:18 AM · I like the spector or finissima (whoever knocked off whom) for ease, nice sound, no vibration. I’ve found that the sound of the Spector varies greatly by instrument and I sometimes prefer it to Finissima.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music