Quartet Identify Theft?? My quartet advertised on a Philippine website without my knowledge?

November 30, 2017, 10:41 AM · Hello--

I just received an email asking whether we also perform in the Philippines since our quartet is advertised on a particular website (a legit website, I checked):

http://www.theweddingvowsg.com/top-10-live-music-wedding-philippines/

My string quartet is called DaCapo Strings & we are based in Atlanta, GA. The images and website information posted at this site are ours but the following info is not:

<Kennedy Drive, Tandang Sora, Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines
dacapo_instrumentalist@yahoo.com
0917-8915865
https://www.facebook.com/dacapomusicians>>

So basically there is a music group using my images and website and saying it's there info. Has anyone experienced something similar & be willing to share how they handled it? Suggestions?

Much thanks,
Carla
violist/manager
DaCapo Strings Atlanta
www.DCstrings.com

Replies (8)

November 30, 2017, 10:52 AM · It looks like there is another group operating with the same name in that country, but the website operator listing "top 10 music groups for hire" may have just done a Google search and grabbed the first info that popped up, not realizing that the groups are not the same.

The name is pretty common: I used to buy things from a Da Capo Music store in San Juan Capistrano, there is a Da Capo Players out here in Newport Beach that does weddings and special events, there is a Da Capo Barbershop Quartet in Washington, D.C., not to mention the famous contemporary music ensemble, the Da Capo Chamber Players.

I'd contact the author of the page to let them know that they have incorrect information and are displaying copyrighted material that you own that is not related to their local "Da Capo" ensemble, and that you would like them to remove it. Looks like their contact email is: contact@theweddingvowsg.com

November 30, 2017, 11:02 AM · Yes, totally agree. It's not a huge deal but one that I need to correct so the other group is not mistaken for ours.

Now to figure out the best way to change the name (or add to)...

November 30, 2017, 11:25 AM · Da Capo would be a good name for a barbershop.
November 30, 2017, 11:27 AM · Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
November 30, 2017, 3:12 PM · Carla, first step would be to contact the offending website and insist they take down the images, and also correct the information.

I'm less inclined than Gene to believe it's an honest mistake. However, I also suspect it's not the fault of the website itself, but rather an intentional misrepresentation by the quartet mentioned n the site.

Neil

November 30, 2017, 9:23 PM · just add "al Fine" and see how it goes.
December 1, 2017, 4:29 AM · I ran into a similar situation a few years ago when I was playing cello in a barn dance band, and I believe an honest mistake was at the root of it. Our band leader received a phone call from someone in a nearby county wanting to book us for a gig, and asked him to send us an email to confirm. The email never arrived and wasn't chased up. We found out later that a colleague of the caller had presumably mistakenly sent the confirmatory email to another band with the same name as ours but local to his county.

My band then changed its name to one that we were pretty sure wasn't duplicated elsewhere in the UK!

December 2, 2017, 9:22 AM · What images are they using? I checked, and all the photos looked like Phillipinos to me.
How are you being damaged? It's not like they're competition.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music