Beautiful little piece

November 30, 2017, 4:24 AM · In another thread I asked for suggestions for a piece for violin and chamber orchestra to play with our "Baroque and modern music ensemble". (I am grateful for the suggestions and am looking into several options now). While looking for music I came across a beautiful little piece by the Danish composer Ludolf Nielsen. It is his romance for violin and symphony orchestra op 20 and the style is late romantic, so it did not fit the bill for our ensemble, but I performed the violin and piano version at our chamber music by orchestra members concert this tuesday. No too difficult (if you are comfortable to venture into the eternal snow area of the fingerboard once in a while) - actually the biggest difficulty was for the pianist to read the handwritten sheet music that is available on IMSLP. So if you are looking for a short (6-7 minutes) piece this is highly recommended.

Replies (4)

November 30, 2017, 4:42 AM · From the same part of the world there's another nice little Romance by Gustav Helsted. Not being anyone's idea of a virtuoso I searched IMSLP for violin/piano Romances and also came up with Dvorak (strangely neglected), Fibich, Hubay, Sinigaglia and several others worth investigating
November 30, 2017, 5:54 AM · I'm not sure I would describe the Dvorak Romance as neglected, but it is certainly beautiful. When I have time I will look up the OP's suggestion.

Another really lovely, short, and not terribly difficult piece is the Romance by Amy Beach.

November 30, 2017, 6:09 AM · Also the one by Svendsen is beautiful
November 30, 2017, 7:28 AM · I have managed to find two recordings. One with orchestra and hungarian/danish violinist Anton Kontra and one with piano and danish violinist Karen Humle. One is on Spotify and one on Naxos Music Library.

I picked up the Amy Beach romance after you mentioned it recently, and I agree it is lovely.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music