I want to start playing violin/cello but my parents don't believe I am serious about it, any help?

Edited: November 29, 2017, 5:37 PM · I am a 15 year old who wants to start playing violin or violoncello but my parents don't believe I am serious about it, I also have prior experience in woodwinds and music theory.
+ Additionally I am looking to make a decision on which of the two aforementioned instruments to pick.

Any help?

Replies (16)

November 29, 2017, 3:58 PM · When you listen to a full orchestra playing, do you find yourself drawn to the treble lines or the bass lines?
Edited: November 29, 2017, 5:01 PM · The cello is hard to transport, and fees can be more expensive. Could you try both before deciding? Also, you can play viola. If you don't know what that is, we'll inform you. Do you have plans to take lessons? Can you convince your parents that you'd like to try? If it doesn't work out for you, you can quit. Also, I highly recommend renting an instrument at first, especially when you're unsure whether you'll stick with it long-term or not.
November 29, 2017, 4:44 PM · If cost is a concern, then I would push them for violin lessons over cello. Playing a cello will cost a lot more in the long run, although if you only find yourself loving cello music then better to push for that than play an instrument you hate.

Ella, do you think starting on viola makes sense? Seems a lot of viola players have success playing violin first and then switching. Also, if OP ends up with small hands on a viola when they're grown up then they'll have a bit of a problem.

November 29, 2017, 4:59 PM · I see nothing wrong with starting viola without violin experience, especially if you're of adult size. For kids, it's a bit more of a problem due to instrument sizing issues. There's small violas. Unfortunately, they're less common, and teachers are often unwilling to start child-sized people on viola, especially when they're still growing. I know there's exceptions to this rule, however.
Edited: December 1, 2017, 12:20 PM · Okay thanks, I was leaning more towards cello either way. My main question was about what I can do if my parents are not thrilled about my choice to play either instrument.

P.S I'm not that interested in the viola. I have a good amount experience in music(more specifically in woodwinds & percussion) I should have clarified sorry on my part

Ella: I have tried convincing them to let me take lessons but they don't believe I would actually stay committed.

Mary: As both a bass player and treble player myself I am drawn to both

November 29, 2017, 5:51 PM · Hmm I'm guessing that their reluctance could be something to do with you playing the other instruments and then switching to another one? Just a guess since I myself tend to switch hobbies to a point that I can't even trust myself if I'm going to stick to something or not =/ Which other instruments do you play and for how long each?
November 29, 2017, 5:58 PM · They might be concerned with financial costs -- maybe you can negotiate with them about that. Have something in return and/or some kind of punishment clause if you don't go through with it.

My only advice in choosing which instrument is to try both. Usually there are free trial lessons (not sure about cello since I have 0 experience about that). Just be honest that you're trying both and not sure which one you like better.

Edited: November 29, 2017, 6:12 PM · Percussion-4 y
Alto Sax -2.5 y
Bari Sax -1 y
Violin -2m (no teacher this was just me renting)
Does this help John
Edited: November 29, 2017, 6:07 PM · I don't have the foggiest idea how schools are setup today so this might not be helpful. But, if you can take a study hall, and spend it for a few weeks in the music department with a cello, maybe you will find out for sure which instrument you want to spend a lot of time with. Then have the teacher go to bat for you with your parents.
Edited: November 29, 2017, 8:06 PM · That wouldn't be possible but thanks, Jim
Edited: November 29, 2017, 10:25 PM · Which of those are you still playing most of the time? Or are you playing all of them pretty much all equally? How often?
November 29, 2017, 10:46 PM · 3 times a week for Bari (in school) and 30 mins most days for alto

Recently I haven't played as much purcussion

November 29, 2017, 11:25 PM · Sounds like you don't have the time to commit to a string instrument, Ayden.
November 30, 2017, 6:33 AM · The physical demands of violin playing are more difficult for violin than cello because the basic posture needed to hold the instrument and bow are really contortions. Cello posture requirements are completely normal. At the other end of life (when you are old) it will be easier to continue to play the cello. However both instruments are difficult to play at "intermediate" and high levels.

The OP says he does not want to play the "viol" but was asked if he had thought about learning "viola" not the "viol." Viols are ancient bowed instruments that have frets (like a guitar) and are thus easier to play, especially their common literature (typically baroque) that is generally technically easier than much of the more recent violin and cello literature.

The viola can be more physically difficult to play than violin because even though it places similar demands on the body, it is larger. Much viola literature is technically easier than violin because it does not go as high up the strings. Going high up viola strings is even more difficult than violin because of the "ungodly" size of the blasted thing. On the other hand, much virtuosic cello music is considerably easier to play on viola than on cello because of the way it fits into the instrument's range.

I had a couple of students in their mid 20s who played sax/clarinet and wanted to learn string instruments - they were a couple and took their lessons at the same time - so could watch each other as one started violin and the other cello. The "cellist" was also a (sight) singer and made the fastest progress I have ever seen and after 10 months she had progressed to starting Suzuki Book 7. Her boyfriend by the same time was into Suzuki Book 4. Unfortunately after 10 months they moved to the other side of the country (USA) so lessons with me ended.

November 30, 2017, 9:44 AM · As far as convincing your parents goes Ayden, maybe you could offer to carry part of the cost for instrument rent and lessons. Then you'll have skin in the game and your parents could safely assume you're serious about learning whichever instrument you decide on.
Edited: December 1, 2017, 12:20 PM · Okay, thanks!

By the way viol was a typo I meant viola

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins