My 7 y/o son sometimes has tears in his eyes when playing.

November 29, 2017, 2:36 AM · I have two boys playing the violin. They both play very well but one of them , the oldest (7yo), is very moved by his own playing. While practicing Kuchler Op.11 for example he sometimes has tears in his eyes (and I am no tiger mom screaming at him...;-) )
Of course this is very positive I guess and it does take me by the "kishke" too I have to say.
Have you had any such experiences as children or with children?

Replies (20)

November 29, 2017, 4:00 AM · Maybe he doesn’t want to practice. I used to cry too, at lessons with a strict teacher in my youth, or when my mom was telling me I had to practice.
November 29, 2017, 4:11 AM · Roman, it's not that at all! He is moved by the music. He looks at me and smiles with tears in his eyes.
When I first took him to Opera for Children at about 3 y/o he use to have tears in his eyes also but never wanted to leave. It was like it was painful to him but he couldn't stop listening.
Very special that way. I love him :-)
Edited: November 29, 2017, 5:04 AM · It's a special child. Maybe. Make sure you continue to offer him opportunities to see great inspiring art, not only music but also teach him to look at paintings and sculpture. And eventually to read the best literature. He will appreciate it.

But most importantly don't discount the effort or sensitivity of the other boy. It might be just the same but less visible. I have the "issue" that my eyes tear up when I get excited talking about something that interests me. It doesn't mean anyone else is less "emotional" or "sensitive."

November 29, 2017, 5:19 AM · Maybe its the rosin :/
November 29, 2017, 5:43 AM · As long as it's not like Johnny here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUpggXGHYjk

November 29, 2017, 10:33 AM · Is he forgetting to blink?
November 29, 2017, 11:49 AM · Man, I wish I could feel like that. I'm sort of dead inside.
November 29, 2017, 12:12 PM · So what did the boy say? Have you asked him? No one asked me when I was a child so I walked away with the notion that emotion was wrong, it was something to be hidden, and not talked about.
Edited: November 29, 2017, 4:54 PM · I was very emotional as a kid too, easily moved by music and strong emotions, so I can relate. Eventually as I got older I gained more control of my outward emotions, but I still have passion for many of the things that moved me. So, I think the suggestion above to expose the child to as much great art as possible is a great one, as it will probably have more of an impact. It may also help them to learn how to control and channel their passions more too.

Also, try to talk to the child about what they're feeling, that will help them to learn to express themselves more and understand why they feel the way they do=) I think Jim is absolutely right about this. It would probably also be helpful to have their father do this as well, as sometimes boys would be more open to sharing with a man.

November 29, 2017, 5:03 PM · He's disappointed that his instrument is not very good. He wants to hear quality sound but his instrument is holding him back, hence he is crying. Just kidding of course. We can all make assumptions but only he knows the truth -- so ask him :)
Edited: November 30, 2017, 8:39 PM · My child played Kuchler Op.15 a few years ago and she came up with a hilarious background story to go with it because she couldn't stand it and she had to be really creative to make it palatable to her.

She likes operas enough to stay awake to the end but her reaction often is, "I don't get it. This story makes no sense." :D

Normally, all I get from her while she is playing either giggles or death stares depending on what she thinks of my comments. I think it's wonderful that your son is emotionally engaged with music.

Edited: November 29, 2017, 7:39 PM · Eden, my niece was moved to tears by music before she could talk. She was always a natural when it came to expression. She just finished her bachelors in performance last year.
November 29, 2017, 9:08 PM · I was the one unemotional kid out of the 15 in my little ensemble when we played some sad piece that I forgot it's name
November 30, 2017, 1:21 PM · "She likes operas enough to stay awake to the end but her reaction often is, "I don't get it. This story makes no sense.""

Yes, this is correct;) I love Mozart, but his operas are ridiculous (along with most other composer's operas too)

November 30, 2017, 1:41 PM · See this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYR9ychIPJc
Your son is not the only one who feels deeply the violin sound.
Christian Ferras also did it.
November 30, 2017, 8:11 PM · Aww, I like hearing this story, Eden. Your son feels art strongly. Very cool. (Although, not necessarily an easy route to travel, being this sensitive.)

I also enjoy everyone's responses. They are quite varied, LOL!

November 30, 2017, 8:28 PM · Andre - wow, just watched your Christian Ferras link. Incredible. Such a moving performance to watch. (The Sibelius VC 2nd movement always slays me anyway, even as a listener; I don't see how anyone could perform it dispassionately.)
November 30, 2017, 8:52 PM · I wonder too if it has to do with not blinking. I've noticed too that when I'm listening to people intently, I sometimes forget to blink, and my eyes tear.
December 6, 2017, 3:26 AM · My 4,5 years old son reacts on violin sounds too. I thinks at some point the sound is in resonance with his body. And this physical vibration, creates some fillings. And for sure- he likes high tones (A, better E strings, better in the 3d position), and he is not so exited when he has to practice on G and D in first. In contrast to him, I am not big fan of violin or soprano, but I do enjoy bariton and cello.
I never could guess, why people choose violin to play. But my son did. We begun to see other children playing violin on youtube. And I got an answer in one interview, where a 7 years old british girl says very simple: "I like how the violin sounds, it is tickling me".
So, i believe it is a physical impact on the body, which creates filling that one can enjoy or not.
December 6, 2017, 1:38 PM · As an uptight Brit I don't weep (stiff upper lip and all that, what!) but I play music because it moves me profoundly and I want it to move others.
And I love to teach others to move others too!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music