Another Mistake for Strings?

November 28, 2017, 3:53 PM · I recently did some string swapping. To my amazement, I found that string choice might affect string noise ? ?

I never heard of that except when I heard it ! !

( I'm suspicious of sounding point )

Replies (11)

November 28, 2017, 4:58 PM · Different string will give different proportions of high harmonics. That might be what you're hearing. Alternatively if you are not in the habit of cleaning your strings thoroughly, you might be responding to the sound of the new strings because they're clean.
November 28, 2017, 5:31 PM · The winding of a string also has a large effect on the "string noise." For example, aluminum vs silver winding. But be careful not to judge a string until it's broken in, as string noise is highest when a string is brand new. Also, different strings have different effective sounding points based on their tension, so you must take this into consideration when judging any particular choice.
November 29, 2017, 1:15 PM · I imagine string "noise" is not simply the high harmonics, but the more random vibrations from the rubbong of bow on string; like tha reassuring rsurface noise of a stylus on an LP...
November 29, 2017, 1:38 PM · I call things like string noise or tiny little finger-coming-off-string noises "the player's curse," because only the player hears them, while the audience gets to enjoy a nice, pure tone.
November 29, 2017, 4:53 PM · Erik, yes it is the gremlins that haunt me.
Do you think that "better" violins are "quieter" in this context? Player vs. hardware ?
No big deal but I will welcome any finesse.
My Easton 305 is terrible under the chin.
November 29, 2017, 7:26 PM · If you wear a Vater earplug with the green or red insertion in your left ear only, you won't be subjected to those noises.
November 29, 2017, 9:33 PM · Pamela's suggestion is a good one, BUT I will say this: the more information you can gather about your sound, the better you will be able to correct your errors.

So even though it's unpleasant to hear the screechy scratchiness, it's going to tell you a lot more than if you don't hear it.

November 29, 2017, 11:52 PM · The little ping of the finger coming off the string is actually great for clarity when the audience hears it. You can hear it in the recordings of violinists like Nathan Milstein, too.
December 1, 2017, 11:11 AM · That may be so Erik, but daily practice with a loud violin (without ear protection) leaves my ears ringing. Strangely, when I'm at my teacher's studio, I feel like I don't hear the sound of the bow on the string at all - at home I can hear it, and the earplug blocks it. Better that than using a practice mute to protect one's ears (and I do like the sound of the bow hair moving across the strings!)

Lydia - I love that sound.

December 1, 2017, 12:07 PM · You can't just put on a new string and judge it, especially surface noise. It takes time for strings to break in. Dominants take a week of hard playing before the initial steely edge goes away and they become really stable.

Don't get sucked into constantly changing strings and becoming OCD about it. It's a hole in your pocket and you'll drive yourself nuts.

December 1, 2017, 5:30 PM · For want of a widely accepted solution here, my trial and error suggests that my sounding point needs work. This is now pushing me right up to the bridge ? ?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music