So has no one noticed the Virgil Thomson Cello Concerto for the past 10 years?

Edited: November 28, 2017, 10:06 AM · I started this discussion 10 years ago:

http://www.violinist.com/discussion/archive/11152/

And apparently no one has paid attention to this great piece. To my knowledge, there are still only 2 recordings of it, and it has rarely (if ever) been played. Am I wrong?

Maybe it's because Virgil Thomson (also a famous music critic) penned one of the most famous criticisms of one of the world's greatest violinists, Jascha Heifetz. It was called "silk underwear music."
Anybody remember that?

Anyway, happy holidays to everyone. And may your new year bring you all of the success and happiness you deserve, especially after the time, energy, and sacrifices you have made to learn to play the violin - perhaps one of the most difficult things to do on this earth.

Cheers,
Sandy

Replies (1)

November 30, 2017, 9:16 AM · Guess What????
There is a 3rd recording of this piece. I haven't heard it yet, but I saw it on amazon. The cellist is Yehuda Hanani, and it's on American Classics. Anybody heard it? [....probably not].
Oh, well, I tried.
The first two recordings are very, very good (Luigi Silva, and Emmanuel Feldman, I think).

Anyway, as I've said (e.g., 10 years ago), the Thomson Cello Concerto is an over-neglected masterpiece. Maybe because it's in a decidedly "American" idiom, it's not considered "classical" enough.

Anyway,
Cheers,
Sandy

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop