Technique building

November 28, 2017, 8:54 AM · I've been playing Bruch and Saint Saens Intro and Rondo Capr. for awhile, but my tehcnique is still quite weak.
What pieces or etudes or caprices or scales etc. do you recommend to build up technique for future more advacned reportoire?

Replies (6)

November 28, 2017, 9:07 AM · Sam, at any rate you should get the following three books: 1) "Basics" by Simon Fischer; 2) "Scale System" by Carl Flesch; 3) "42 Etudes or Caprices" by Kreutzer. You will have a lot of fun with these, regardless what else. On the other hand, if you want to become really advanced on the violin, you should take lessons from a high-level teacher.
November 28, 2017, 9:42 AM · I'd ask why you're working on such advanced repertoire if your technique is "quite weak." Maybe you should choose repertoire targets that within your present horizon.
November 28, 2017, 8:15 PM · By the time you are playing that repertoire, you should have solid, mature technique. From that point forward, you might pick up some virtuosic tricks, but at that point you are mostly taught refinement and musicianship, not fundamental technique.

What technical work have you done to date, and what do you consider weak?

Edited: November 28, 2017, 10:00 PM · I think at this stage you may still be refining certain technical skills a bit, but your technique should be quite solid at this point. I personally play at a similar level and my teacher is still working to correct some minr basic issues, but generally, I'm quite solid technically. I'm asking the same question: which aspect(s) of technique are weak?
November 29, 2017, 12:28 AM · Dounis
November 29, 2017, 1:34 AM · If you can get through these pieces, I'm also curious what exactly is wrong with your technique? Or did you mean your technique with these pieces in particular?

Something that has really helped me is Schradieck. I do 30 minutes per day, aiming for perfect sound/intonation/rhythm. Also try to work through a scale book until you've mastered every key.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music