Begginer violinists

November 28, 2017, 12:19 AM · Hi, I play the violin but I still don't know how to tune it and that is a problem.
I live in a humid area and before my violin strings used to get messed up, but then my teacher kind of did something with sand paper (i don't what he did exactly) and then the problem didn't happen for about a month.

Where I am now, it is raining almost everyday and my teacher can't make it this week.

I wanted to practice but my A string was completely loose. I tried to tune it but it still doesn't sound the same.

Is there a place were I'm supposed to keep my violin? Like in the cupboard or in the shade or away from the window?

Is there an app you recommend for tuning a violin?

Thanks

Replies (6)

November 28, 2017, 12:37 AM · Hi Hosna,
Your violin is sensitive to changes in humidity and temperature. Keep it somewhere so these are kept to a minimum ie out of sunlight etc. Keep the Violin in it’s case. As far as tuners try the app soundcorset which is free or Cleartune which is a couple of $ or so.

Sonia

Edited: November 28, 2017, 1:12 AM · Gently apply inward (push) pressure to the A string peg and rotate it clockwise until the string is tensioned. You only want to apply enough pressure to keep the peg from slipping when you let go of it. That's step one.

Step 2 is to check and make sure the feet of your bridge are flat against the top of the violin. If a string has come detuned and the others have been shifting frequently the bridge may have shifted. If the feet aren't flat, gently push the bridge back/forward until they are.

Step 3 is to get a tuning app (I use tunable, but there are plenty of free apps to do it)

Once you've done that check your A string by bowing or plucking it to see how far off it is. If it's very far off, gently twist the tuning peg a little further and see where it's at. Do this until it's 'in the ball park' of the correct pitch. If you have fine tuners use them to get the rest of the way to the pitch.

Repeat this process for each string. It's important to be very careful while using the tuning pegs because when you are still new at it it's easy to turn too far and snap a string. It's also easy to press too hard and jam the peg or damage the peg box, so be gentle.

I'd recommend just holding the violin in your lap and plucking the strings to tune for now. Once you've done it a bit and are used to how the pegs and fine tuners (if you have them. if you don't, get them) feel then you can try tuning it while holding it and bowing it. alternative you can bow it, check the pitch, make and adjustment, and bow again.

Store your violin in it's case, out of direct sunlight, and in a room that is a reasonable temperature (if it's cold, like here, for example, a heated room).

November 28, 2017, 4:20 PM · Lots of YouTube videos available on how to tune your violin. Also at your next lesson, use some of the time to have your teacher show you this important skill.
December 11, 2017, 7:12 PM · Michel, I have seen luthier say to neve3r force the peg in farther if it is slipping, but instead to unwind some more. I will try and find the link, but I do exactly what you said too.
December 11, 2017, 7:14 PM · Also, I think a great free tuner app for beginners is called Guitar tuna, and once you have it set to violin, it tells you exactly how far you are away from your goal. Little to no risk of tuning an octave too high or too low.
Edited: December 11, 2017, 7:26 PM · VM,

You don't force it, you apply pressure. Very different things. If you don't apply pressure when you turn the peg then the peg is eventually going to work itself out of the hole and fall on the floor at your feet. Especially as, in this persons circumstance, the peg has already completely slipped.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music