How to start learning to play Violen

November 26, 2017, 12:22 AM · Hello,

I love music and love to play violin right from my childhood. But so far I do not know how to sing or have ever played a musical instrument.

Can you please suggest a way for me to start practicing violin.

Regards,
Anthony

Replies (9)

November 26, 2017, 1:33 AM · Step 1: find a qualified private teacher.
November 26, 2017, 1:37 PM · I started with an adult group class. I thought it was a great way to know if I liked the violin or not in the long run (which I did! And then took individual lessons)
I strongly advise to get an in person teacher if it is possible for you. So many things to learn! You can also rent an instrument monthly from a music store, less financial impact if you decide you don't enjoy violin after all.
November 26, 2017, 1:54 PM · What part of starting violin are you questioning?
Edited: November 26, 2017, 2:17 PM · Go find a teacher, or go to a beginner music school (I guess you'll be with kids, but it doesn't matter). Buy a violin and start lessons or music school. A private teacher could be great because could help you buy a decent "cheap" violin. Otherwise you could end up buying a very bad violin.

Another great idea is to rent for even a month a violin to see if you enjoy it, and if you end up hating the violin, you just "wasted" a few dollars.

Try to buy in a local store, not online, at least the violin.

November 26, 2017, 4:05 PM · Thanks for all the suggestions. To start with, is there any online classes that I can try. I think, this will help to understand myself if I have the real aptitude in Violin and interest. If not I am afraid I will end up irritating my teacher.

Regards,
Anthony

November 26, 2017, 4:35 PM · Wow, teachers are supposed to be patient with their students and don't get irritated with them, specially if you're a beginner. Ask in a local classical music store if possible, it's normally better than a general music store. Make some friends, ask if they know a good violin teacher that is willing to help a beginner. Online classes are something I don't like at all, they are cold and it's not the same thing.
November 26, 2017, 6:59 PM · Only take online lessons if you can't get access to a private tutor for whatever reason.
Edited: November 26, 2017, 8:51 PM · I always apologized to my last teacher when I played double-stops poorly. she had a great ear and I'm sure she was suffering, however she never got irritated by it.

Teachers understand what is involved with taking on a beginning student. They're ready for the squeaks, growls, pings and dings that come with a first time violinist. Don't let that fear hold you back.

Even if you have zero aptitude you will be able to learn a little bit. How content you are with the speed of your progress is much more important and will be the determining factor of if you succeed or not. I managed to teach my girlfriend a little cello even though she can barely hear the difference between the upper and lower notes of a major third.

Edited: November 27, 2017, 5:27 AM · I hope you will give yourself more than a month to decide whether you have "real aptitude" for the violin. I'm living proof that the violin can be thoroughly enjoyed without much by way of "real aptitude."

Others have suggested you get a private individual teacher or join a violin class. Those are good suggestions. The violin involves the simultaneous, continuous solution of a large number of relatively small problems. Teachers are trained to help you deal with that. Even one or two lessons up-front would be useful because just getting your violin set up correctly (chin rest, shoulder rest, basic posture, etc.) is very critical to how securely you will advance.

However there are good online resources too. The videos at violinmasterclass.com are good, and if you go youtube you can look for videos by "Professor V" (Todd Ehle). These are very good for things like holding your bow correctly, etc.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music